Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running Sierra, I have iMovie 9, I want the latest version that can work with Sierra which would be 11, how do I do that?

On this particular machine I don't want to run any higher then Sierra because of certain software that won't work. I do want to use iMovie 11. From What I can tell 10.1.6 is the last version that will work.

If I go to the app store the version is 10.1.14. that won't work with Sierra. How do I update iMovie to the latest version that will work with my computer? I have been searching far and wide for the answer without much luck.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 20, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 2:12 PM

Since you are saying that you had acquired iMovie 10 on at least one of your computers, you can sign in to the app store with the Apple I.D. that you used to acquire iMovie 10, and update it using the procedure that I described in my earlier post.

-- Rich

5 replies

May 20, 2020 8:04 PM in response to brianl0646

There is no iMovie 11. iMovie 9 is iMovie '11 (with an apostrophe). iMovie 10.1.14 is the latest version. Unless you had iMovie 10 on your computer at one time, but perhaps deleted it, you will not be able to update to current iMovie 10. or any iMovie 10. If you did have iMovie 10 on your computer at one time, then you can use this procedure to get the most current version:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

It looks like you never did have iMovie 10, so not having purchased it before you won't be able to get it now.

Having said that, take a look at this link for some possible hope:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/301762/is-it-possible-to-download-acquire-imovie-10-1-6/378247#378247

And this one, particularly the last three posts that discuss the above link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251259186

-- Rich

May 21, 2020 1:12 PM in response to Rich839

By iMovie 9 I meant iMovie '09 which I guess is iMovie 8. I maybe had iMovie 10 on this machine, it was my wife's computer and we always kept it updated. This is a mini that I just got running after not using it for a few years, it is a mid 2010 model. Maybe I have an old backup for it somewhere. I also have a macbook pro I got in 2011 plus a couple airs, iMac running snow leopard and another mini I bought in the last few years.

I know with all the macs I own, one of them must have it on at one time. I do have the latest version on my Air and the other mini, I am just using this one as a work desktop computer now and it would be handy to have it.

But what you are saying is that apple won't let me get this computer running Sierra updated to the latest version of iMovie that this operating system is compatible with?

To do that I have to follow the instructions above, or take it form another machine? I am running iMovie HD on this computer which is kinda cool.

May 21, 2020 6:55 PM in response to Rich839

I didn't read you first post completely until now, I guess I just skipped to the links (which didn't work). So I logged into the app store with my Wife's ID (since she had this computer before) and when I clicked on iMovie it gave me the option to download the latest compatible version to go with my system. So it downloaded 10.1.8, I am all set now. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

I am running Sierra, I have iMovie 9, I want the latest version that can work with Sierra which would be 11, how do I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.