Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie for High Sierra 10.13.6 ????

I'm attempting to download iMovie essentially for the first time. I'm sure my 2017 macbook pro came with it, but I must have deleted it at some point. Everything on the internet points me to the Apple app store, but the iMovie available there says "iMovie can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 10.14.6 or later is required."

How do I get up to 10.14.6? I'm basically technologically illiterate. thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 4:09 PM

You can choose to download a specific Mac OS version by going to this page: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

The suggestion above might fix your issue if you're looking to download the latest iMovie version. However, what I did was that I went to the app store and viewed my past purchases (it will prompt you to sign in with your Apple ID and password). The older version of iMovie was listed there. I clicked on Install and it installed an older version that was compatible with High Sierra 10.13.6. Problem fixed.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 4:09 PM in response to omega7785

You can choose to download a specific Mac OS version by going to this page: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

The suggestion above might fix your issue if you're looking to download the latest iMovie version. However, what I did was that I went to the app store and viewed my past purchases (it will prompt you to sign in with your Apple ID and password). The older version of iMovie was listed there. I clicked on Install and it installed an older version that was compatible with High Sierra 10.13.6. Problem fixed.

May 7, 2020 10:55 PM in response to JoSephGD

Try the following procedure that should get you the highest iMovie version that your operating system will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder. However, it should work and you will have your iMovie 10 back.

-- Rich

Apr 11, 2020 9:06 AM in response to omega7785

Hello omega7785,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you want to know how to upgrade your Mac to macOS 10.14 Mojave; I'd like to help.

The following support article provides some steps for this process:

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Mojave is the minimum requirement for this download, however it is not the newest macOS, your Mac is also capable of running macOS 10.15 Catalina:

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

You can actually skip Mojave and just install Catalina if you like.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Jun 12, 2020 2:48 AM in response to omega7785

Yes there is a way, you have to download and install iMovie using a device that supports the actual version of iMovie, you can also use an iPhone or an iPad, the most important is that you will use the same Apple ID used for your Mac.

Once you have done that you will find that in High Sierra > App Store > Purchased App you will have the icon of iMovie and being able to download the most compatible version for High Sierra, that is archived and available only for customers that they have already purchased the app.

May 17, 2020 3:19 PM in response to spectre_ghost

Did you try the procedure that I described in one of my earlier replies That should get you the highest version of iMovie that your operating system will run. One condition is that you must have had iMovie 10 on your computer sometime in the past, or have an earlier version on there now. You also need to use the same Apple I.D. that you used to initially purchase iMovie 10. If those conditions are not met, then you will not be able to get iMovie 10. Your best option would be to purchase iMovie 6 as a part of the iLife '06 package from a third party vendor like Amazon.

-- Rich

Jun 17, 2020 6:24 PM in response to omega7785

Try this procedure, that should get you the highest iMovie 10 version that your operating system will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see

your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Feb 26, 2021 1:45 PM in response to omega7785

This solution did not work at all. I lost my current version of iMovie which is not supposed to be compatible with High Sierra when I placed it in the trash. I checked the trash to make sure it was there, but it was gone. Then, when I went to try to download it again, the app store app would not allow me to download it even though it was listed in my purchases. Beware!

iMovie for High Sierra 10.13.6 ????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.