Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music ripped from CD's not migrated over to new lap top

I got a new lap top and the only music that is in my Itunes library (after downloading the Itunes app) is music i purchased on Itunes. Is there any way i can get the music from my Ipad and Iphone to migrate to my lap top ? Or do I have to down load all those Cd's again ?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 20, 2020 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 10:50 PM

Your question mentions "music ripped from CDs" but the text refers to "downloading CDs"?

If you ripped the music from CDs to your previous computer, you should copy them from that computer to your new laptop, and then you can add them to your new iTunes library. If you initially downloaded them from the store, you need to download them again.

Your iPad and iPhone cannot copy them back to your new laptop using iTunes.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 10:50 PM in response to Cali_yodabear

Your question mentions "music ripped from CDs" but the text refers to "downloading CDs"?

If you ripped the music from CDs to your previous computer, you should copy them from that computer to your new laptop, and then you can add them to your new iTunes library. If you initially downloaded them from the store, you need to download them again.

Your iPad and iPhone cannot copy them back to your new laptop using iTunes.

Jun 11, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Skcusime

I have similar issue. I purchased a new lap top. I then synched my iPhone with the lap top. All of the songs that I imported from CDs are in the iTunes directory on the lap top. However the only songs that show up when I bring up the iTunes app on the lap top are the ones I purchased from iTunes. Non of the songs imported from CDs are listed eventhough they are in the same directory. How can I get the iTunes app on the lap top to show all of the songs in the directory? Is there an option somewhere?

Jun 11, 2020 2:51 PM in response to DoctorBinKazoo

I'm a bit confused by your terminology. Could you clarify what you mean by "imported from CDs" ? Do you mean ripped from CDs to MP3s. Also "in the iTunes directory on the lap top", do you mean a folder on your HDD (or SSD) named "iTunes", and nothing to do with the iTunes app? Now you say these songs are not in the iTunes app when you open it ("I bring up the iTunes app") but have you imported them from your HDD using iTunes File -> Import Folder To Library thereby getting the pointers to your songs into iTunes?

Import the folder (or individual songs) using this method and they should all show in iTunes.

music ripped from CD's not migrated over to new lap top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.