Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie crashes the second I click to export to file?

Hi, I am currently running MacOs 10.12.6 Sierra, i don't want to update due to the oldness of my mac, therefore I am running imovie 10.1. However, recently when I click to export to a file it crashes the second I click file! Any suggestions to fix this without having to update to Catalina would be appreciated!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 21, 2020 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 11:30 AM

Hmmmm. You've tried most of the diagnostics that are used to isolate the cause of the conflict. However, you used Time Machine rather than reinstalling through the app store. You want to do an update of iMovie. Therfore, I would definitely update your iMovie 10.1.1 to the highest version that can be used with Sierra. Use this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, to highest version that will run on your operating system, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie

10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the

Applications folder.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 11:30 AM in response to Sebastian1900

Hmmmm. You've tried most of the diagnostics that are used to isolate the cause of the conflict. However, you used Time Machine rather than reinstalling through the app store. You want to do an update of iMovie. Therfore, I would definitely update your iMovie 10.1.1 to the highest version that can be used with Sierra. Use this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, to highest version that will run on your operating system, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie

10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the

Applications folder.

-- Rich

May 21, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Sebastian1900

Hi, Sebastian1900,

Possibly there is some corruption in your iMovie library.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Import some media and create a project in the new library. Now see if you can export without crashing. You can get back to your old projects by reopening your old library.

-- Rich

May 21, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your help, I have already tried doing this...

I have also tried rebooting is safe mode aswell

aswell as trying in the guest user

I have also unistalled and reinstalled imovie using clean my mac and time machine...

Any other suggestions?

Could I possibly upgrade my imovie to 10.1.1, that with sierra to see if this fixes the problem?

Imovie crashes the second I click to export to file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.