Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use the single USB-C for transfering files to a new MacBook Pro?

Normally when transferring files to a new computer one cable is plugged in for transferring and the other is plugged into power. Since the MacBook only has one port how do I do this? Even if it were to be charged up to 100% I don't think it would last for an long to convert 400GB over to my new machine?

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 12:14 PM

pik80 wrote:

Neither computer has ethernet...

This is where getting an USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter would come in handy for things like this.

I back up my MacBook to a Time Capsule. Can I do the transfer from go from Time Capsule to the new computer?

Yes, you could using Migration Assistant on your new Mac to retrieve the data from a Time Machine backup on a Time Capsule.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 12:14 PM in response to pik80

pik80 wrote:

Neither computer has ethernet...

This is where getting an USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter would come in handy for things like this.

I back up my MacBook to a Time Capsule. Can I do the transfer from go from Time Capsule to the new computer?

Yes, you could using Migration Assistant on your new Mac to retrieve the data from a Time Machine backup on a Time Capsule.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

May 21, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Time Capsule seems like the way to go. I think our Ethernet is down, it's all some high speed WiFi connection they switched to. Time capsule just looks the most straight forward. It may take a couple days to do 400gb over wifi but the other ways just don't seem workable.

@Apfelkopf My storage device is USB-C as well. Probably best to transfer all the files over Time Capsule.

How do I use the single USB-C for transfering files to a new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.