Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect two external monitors (one iMAC and one other) from my MacBook Air

I want to use my MacBook Air as the main computer and then have two external monitors attached and be able to extend my desktop across all three.

One monitor will be my iMac and I've seen the information on 'target display mode'. The other is a Samsung monitor.

I'm struggling to find out the connector needed for my MacBook Air to go to the two monitors and can anyone help with the connectors?

Thanks - Nick 😊

Posted on May 21, 2020 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:08 PM

Thanks Nick,

As you may have learned that the MacBook Air 2017 is capable of using one internal display (itself) and one external display. It gets tricky once you get into 2 or more external monitors when you want the external monitors to perform in extension mode rather than mirror mode. As you may know that there is not clear information available out there to make this work. I found this one ➔ Video on YouTube that was similar to your setup and am hoping that you can learn from there and make things work for you.

Axel F.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 10:08 PM in response to NickC9000

Thanks Nick,

As you may have learned that the MacBook Air 2017 is capable of using one internal display (itself) and one external display. It gets tricky once you get into 2 or more external monitors when you want the external monitors to perform in extension mode rather than mirror mode. As you may know that there is not clear information available out there to make this work. I found this one ➔ Video on YouTube that was similar to your setup and am hoping that you can learn from there and make things work for you.

Axel F.

May 21, 2020 11:28 PM in response to NickC9000

Hello Nick,

I am struggling to find out which connector(s) you need as well. I am struggling because I know as much as what you have told us and that is that you would like connect your MacBook Air to your iMac and a Samsung Monitor. There is no way for anyone to determine which ports you have on the three devices with the information posted.

Please let us know-

1. Which year model is your MacBook Air?
  2. Which year model is your iMac?
  3. Finally, look in the back of your Samsung monitor and let us know of type of input ports on it.

Once we have this information then we can try and provide some guidance. Thanks.

Axel F.

May 24, 2020 9:56 AM in response to NickC9000

Hi again

• The iMac is late 2012 27inch and has four USB and two Thunderbolt ports
  • The MacBook Air is 2017 and ahas two USB and one Thunderbolt port
  • The Samsung C27F390 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor has VGA and HDMI inputs

I currently have VGA and thunderbolt to HDMI connectors and currently connect the iMac or MacBook Air with the Samsung monitor. I'd like to connect all three together and extend the desktop with the MacBook Air as the main computer.

What I'd like to know is what connector should come out of the MacBook Air and should that split into 2 x HDMI leads to the iMac and Samsung monitor? Is there a specific order/connections needed to make the setup work as I want?

Many thanks

NickC

How to connect two external monitors (one iMAC and one other) from my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.