Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Qobuz iPhone app does not play through a DAC connected to iPhone w/Apple camera adapter

The Qobuz iPhone app does not play music through a DAC connected to my iPhone using Apple's “lightning to USB 3 camera adapter.” All connections seem tight. The iPhone qobuz app shows music playing but there is no sound. What could be wrong?

Detail 1) If I unplug USB cable from phone's camera adapter and plug it into my Mac computer, the Qobuz computer app plays perfectly, so the problem must be in the phone or phone app, right?

Detail 2) When I first connected the camera adapter, a window popped up asking if I wanted to update the camera adapter. I clicked ok and it took a minute or two to update. Was that a mistake?

iPhone X

Posted on May 21, 2020 11:08 AM

5 replies

May 22, 2020 2:26 PM in response to T.C. Dandy

Thanks for getting back to us with that information, T.C. Dandy. It's appreciated.

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open -- Even though the app is working, it's not working as expected. Use the steps in this article to see if you're able to get it working as it should. If you've tried all the steps provided, follow step 5:

"Contact the app developer

If you're having an issue with an Apple app, contact Apple Support. If it's a third-party app, contact the app developer."

Cheers!

May 22, 2020 9:14 AM in response to T.C. Dandy

Greetings, T.C. Dandy.

I see that you're unable to play music using your iPhone X and the Quobuz app. Even though the app shows it's playing music, it's not playing through Quobuz' Digital-to-analog converter, and I'm glad to help with this.

Qobuz 101: DACs, streamers and other network players -- From this page on Qobuz' site, you'll use AirPlay to stream the music through the DAC.

"On a tablet or Apple smartphone, you can use the Qobuz application for this and send it via Airplay to a streamer, while with Android you can use the DLNA or the tertiary application UPnP if the smartphones or tablets are not DLNA without requiring any additional software or updates."

Enjoy your streaming and take care!

May 22, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks for your reply and the link, Starr.C. The link's discussion of streamers is helpful. The Qobuz app on my iPhone works well playing music through the phone's DAC while I listen on headphones plugged into the lightning port.

What I'm having trouble with is getting my phone to recognize an external DAC connected through the phone's lightning port, as in the second drawing on the link. (I want to send the Qobuz app's digital signal from the phone to an audiophile-grade external DAC w/headphone jacks.)

Problem is that the Qobuz app appears to be playing, but no signal is reaching the external DAC. The app does not seem to see the external DAC. I have tried two different DACS with no luck. (Also, neither my phone's settings nor the app's settings show a way to "select" a connected DAC.) I would be grateful for any further suggestions. Thanks again!

May 22, 2020 2:40 PM in response to Joseph_S.

The Qobuz app seems to work fine most of the time. The problem occurs when I connect an external DAC to the phone through an Apple Lightning to Camera Adapter. In that case, either the phone or the app does not recognize the external DAC. The maker of the DAC says that connection should work. Is there a way I can determine whether it is the phone or the app that is failing to see the DAC?

The Qobuz iPhone app does not play through a DAC connected to iPhone w/Apple camera adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.