You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play Hi-Res Lossless through my AVR

I know I need an external DAC to play the Hi-Res Lossless now available via Apple Music, but I assume that my AVR (Denon 4311) can do this. But how do I make the connection? I have the Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter with the USB output, but my old Denon's USB input is labelled 'iPod' and seems to ignore anything I'm playing on my iPhone. I'm sure I'm missing something and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 5:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 8:29 AM

Very messy in my mind, all while by-passing (most likely) a very decent DAC inside the AVR probably an ESS Sabre that can sample at up to 24 bit/192 kHz.

The unkept secret is out, we are trying to use hardware gadgets to deliver hi-res lossless .....The serious question remains, what are Apple's plans to make their current hi-res loss music stream work over Air Play to the Wi-Fi equipped AVR's ?

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2021 8:29 AM in response to tuong66

Very messy in my mind, all while by-passing (most likely) a very decent DAC inside the AVR probably an ESS Sabre that can sample at up to 24 bit/192 kHz.

The unkept secret is out, we are trying to use hardware gadgets to deliver hi-res lossless .....The serious question remains, what are Apple's plans to make their current hi-res loss music stream work over Air Play to the Wi-Fi equipped AVR's ?

Jun 11, 2021 8:32 AM in response to StevenLyall

Hi StevenLyall,

I didn’t realize you want to play from your mobile devices.

I haven’t tested this (yet ?), but I would do something like this :

• Get the Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Adapter
  • Get a USB 3 DAC such as the iFi Zen DAC (very affordable, don’t know about the quality though)
  • Get a USB-A to USB-B 3.0 cable (I think it is included with the iFi Zen DAC)
  • Get a pair of RCA cables (one in red and one in white for L/R output channels)
  • Connect the lightning camera adapter to your iPhone, optionally connect the adapter to a power source to power your iPhone while listening
  • Connect the apple lightning camera adapter to the iFi Zen DAC using the USB-A to USB-B 3.0 cable
  • Connect the iFi Zen DAC to your AVR using the pair of RCA cables to one of the analog input pair in the back of your AVR

That should do the work.

For your iPad, if it has a lightning port it’s the same procedure. If it’s an iPad pro with a usb-c port, you don’t even need to get the Apple lightning camera adapter, just get a USB-C to USB-B 3.0 cable then connect your iPad pro directly to the iFi Zen DAC.

Jul 13, 2021 8:31 AM in response to xyzlorenzo

Thanks for the remarks. So I have a similar class AVR and got the following remarks from a Yamaha audio technician in recent days. In a separate note he indicated that I was being choked to 48KHz sampling rate. Apple has some iOS work to do.

' The "choke" is caused by the software that runs in these devices(Apple & Windows) which do not pass-through their proprietary connectors.

"The USB port and HDMI ports on your RX-V1079 are all capable of decoding 192hz signals but the input signal coming from these units are limited. This is not a problem with the receiver.

If you have an uncompressed 192hz audio file on a USB stick and you insert it into the USB port on the RX-V1079, I assure you that you will get the full bandwidth audio.

Same goes for a Bluray player connected via HDMI to the RX-V1079 playing back a DSD high res file.

This is all this proprietary licensing stuff from these "Software" companies. They prioritize playback from their own devices."

Jun 10, 2021 10:22 AM in response to StevenLyall

I have a headless Mac mini, connected to my Yamaha AVR via HDMI.

I mainly use it to play hi-res music with Audirvana, including multi-channel hi-res music.

I believe you can play hi-res music from the Apple Music app this way through HDMI to your AVR.

Launch the “Audio MIDI Setup” utility:

• Select your HDMI device
  • Right click then select “Use this device for sound output”
  • Then on the right, in the « output » tab, select the format of your hi-res music e.g. 8 channels 24 bits 192 kHz, depending on the source for at and the capability of your AVR DAC.

After this setup, Music will output sound through the AVR not through the internal speakers of the mac mini anymore.

P.S. You can also play hi-res lossless music through your AVR if you have an Apple TV 4K, but only up to 24 bits 48 kHz.

Jul 13, 2021 8:01 AM in response to mjmone

Where did you get the 48 kHz spec for the USB port? My Denon mini system (RCD-M39) seems to be playing 96 kHz and 192 kHz streams over USB with no trouble. I can't say for sure because it doesn't display that information, but I am pretty sure I can hear the difference in the streams versus 44.1/48. I also will often see the Music app start playing a stream that says "Lossless" then switches to "High-res Lossless" after what seems like some kind of negotiation between the iPhone and the Denon. There are also a few high-res tracks that it seems to struggle with and "glitch".

Jul 13, 2021 9:02 AM in response to mjmone

I don't think that iOS devices are "choked" to 48 kHz if it's connected to a USB port labelled "Made for iPod/iPhone" such as on my Denon mini system. The OS switches the rates based on what is playing. tvOS is limited to 48 kHz for now, and macOS always plays the rate selected in Audio MIDI setup and resamples regardless of what the source is. This video was helpful to understand what is going on with Apple's OSes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVIfKpbwxg

How to play Hi-Res Lossless through my AVR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.