Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mid-2014 MacBook Pro trackpad is not working and my keyboard is lagging too!

Hey all, so this is irritating. My trackpad has not been working for a while and now I've noticed the keyboard is becoming progressively more unresponsive.

I've reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Mac OS but to no avail. I read on previous forums and posts that it's possible that the battery swells and presses against the connector for the trackpad but before I go and have this replaced, I want to get some idea if its possible that that is what's affecting the keyboard too.

As we dont have Apple Stores in South Africa, (and our authorized Apple dealership here is ludicrously expensive), I cant simply take it in to see a Genius for diagnosis.

Any help with self diagnosing these issues before just having parts replaced would be super helpful!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 22, 2020 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 12:02 PM

Try using an external keyboard. If the external keyboard is working properly, then you have a hardware issue with the built-in one. If the external keyboard also has the same problem, then maybe you have a software issue in which case run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 12:02 PM in response to madeincapetown

Try using an external keyboard. If the external keyboard is working properly, then you have a hardware issue with the built-in one. If the external keyboard also has the same problem, then maybe you have a software issue in which case run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

My mid-2014 MacBook Pro trackpad is not working and my keyboard is lagging too!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.