Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to set up extended display option with new MacBook Air. I do not see Arrangements tab under Displays

No arrangements tab under Displays on new MacBook Air. Is there a new way to set up extended display to add a monitor? I have seen this question or similar before, but no answers were listed.

Posted on May 22, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 5:22 AM

What do you see on your external Display at this time? Is it in Mirror mode? Do you see your desktop on it at least?

While connected to the Display, open System Preferences and then Displays. Hold down the OPTION key and that should reveal the DETECT DISPLAYS button. Click on it with your mouse and see if detects the external display and shows the Arrangements tab.

Also uncheck the Mirroring option if it is checked.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 5:22 AM in response to marmika113

What do you see on your external Display at this time? Is it in Mirror mode? Do you see your desktop on it at least?

While connected to the Display, open System Preferences and then Displays. Hold down the OPTION key and that should reveal the DETECT DISPLAYS button. Click on it with your mouse and see if detects the external display and shows the Arrangements tab.

Also uncheck the Mirroring option if it is checked.

Axel F.

Jun 8, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Axel Foley

I'm having the same issue! Trying to use my Mac (2015) as an extended display for my MacBook Pro (2017). Using the converter for Thunderbolt 3 and corresponding cable, but no luck. When I'm on the Display preferences for MacBook there's no tab for "arrangement." Was able to click "detect displays" but nothing happened. Could it be a compatibility issue?

Trying to set up extended display option with new MacBook Air. I do not see Arrangements tab under Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.