Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubles renaming Home folder and computer name

I am Setting up my new 2019 Mac Pro.

I used a Time Machine backup from my old 2012 Mac Pro. Everything went smoothly but I needed to change the name of the Home Folder and the computer name. I used the procedure below, EXCEPT, I changed the name of the account first, then the Home Folder second. (This is the reverse of the procedure given.) All my fault. I'm looking for the easiest way to straighten this out without having to start from scratch which takes about 10 hours to move the data.

https://support.apple.com/hr-hr/HT201548

When I login to my Account ABC, the Mac is utilizing a Home Folder (that looks like a house) this folder has virtually nothing in it, (like a Mac would have when brand-new). My renamed Home Folder ABC, has all of my data, (it looks like an ordinary folder) but when I login to Account ABC, it is accessing everything from the OLD Home Folder name that has none of my data.

I'm looking for the easiest way to straighten this out without having to start from scratch which takes about 10 hours to move the data.

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 6:11 PM

You should be able to change your home directory using System Preferences > Users & Groups > (your account) > right-click or control-click > Advanced. You have to do this while the account is logged out and you are logged into a new administrator account.

Similar questions

7 replies

May 22, 2020 5:57 PM in response to Ziatron

Personally I'd start over. If you did that an hour ago you'd only have nine more to go 🙃

There might be another way around it. Am I correct in assuming that Mac has two Home folders, but when you log in yours is empty or nearly so. Is that right? If you examine (your startup volume)/Users/ are there in fact two? In addition to Shared that is.

Stating the obvious, be sure you've turned off TM until you straighten things out. You don't want to overwrite what could conceivably be your lifeline.

May 23, 2020 5:32 AM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

As an aside, I was disappointed to see that Apple no longer makes a wired keyboard. I was able to find one on eBay.

Apple does still make a wired keyboard. In true Apple fashion, the batteries in the new Apple Magic keyboard are not replaceable, so it needs a cable to recharge. That is also a data cable. They keyboard still works if Bluetooth is disabled. Apple doesn’t want people using a mouse anymore, so the Magic Mouse is not useable with the cable plugged in.

Troubles renaming Home folder and computer name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.