Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of a old/greyed out email account?

I have an emails account from an old job that I cannot delete from my email app - it’s constantly still trying to check the email in that account and sending me pop up alerts about needed to re-enter my password. I can’t figure out how to delete the account as it is greyed out in settings and won’t let me get into it! Help!

iPhone XS

Posted on May 23, 2020 4:31 AM

1 reply

May 24, 2020 2:10 PM in response to Kmd2001

Hi Kmd2001,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having difficulty in removing an email account from your iPhone. I'd be happy to provide some insights.

The common reason for an account being greyed out is due to it being a managed device. That could mean that restrictions have been placed on the device in the form of Parental Controls or through device management from a workplace.

I'd recommend taking a look at this resource regarding restrictions: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Specifically, this section:

"Allow changes to other settings and features

You can allow changes to other settings and features, the same way you can allow changes to privacy settings.

Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.

Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. If asked, enter your passcode.

Under Allow Changes, select the features or settings you want to allow changes to and choose Allow or Don't Allow.

Here are some features and settings you can allow changes for:

Passcode Changes: Prevent changes to your passcode

Account Changes: Prevent changes to settings for Accounts & Passwords

Cellular Data Changes: Prevent changes to cellular data settings

Volume Limit: Prevent changes to volume settings for safe listening

Do Not Disturb While Driving: Prevent changes to Do Not Disturb While Driving

TV Provider: Prevent changes to TV provider settings

Background App Activities: Prevent changes to whether or not apps run in the background"

Also take a look at this section:

"Businesses and schools often use profiles, which can turn on Restrictions. To find out if your device has a profile, go to Settings > General > Profiles. Contact your administrator or the person who set up the profile for more information."

Thanks and have a great day.

How do I get rid of a old/greyed out email account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.