Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update OS, Chrome and Safari version

Mac pro, can you help please? I'm really bad at this.

• I can't see some content on a public library website (both Chrome and Safari). Is it because I don't have the latest versions of OS, Chrome and Safari?

• Can I upgrade my very old OS to a better OS? If so, how? When I clicked update, it said there is no more update (which implies I've the latest version but apparently I don't, I think)

• I'm also concerned about security because I don't have the latest version. Should I get a new laptop? What OS would you recommend? I can't afford the latest, expensive version.

Here's my version:

MacOS: 10.9.5 (wiki said "OS X Mavericks (version 10.9)") 

Chrome Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) 

Safari Version 9.1.3 (9537.86.7.8)

Posted on May 23, 2020 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 10:09 AM

Hello,

Your post initially indicates that you are inquiring about a Mac Pro however your follow up message states you have a MacBook Pro. I would like to confirm that you indeed are inquiring about the MacBook Pro and not the Mac Pro?

5 replies

May 23, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Samli33

Whether you have a Mac Pro 2009 or a MacBook Pro 2009 all you can upgrade to is Mac OS X El Capitan.

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Go to Section 4 and click on Download OS X El Capitan.

This downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the .pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which you will find in 

your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the InstallMacOSX.dmg

if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app prior to installing and moving it to

an external drive for safe keeping. It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk, using the Install OS X El Capitan.app

in the Applications folder, and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

Update OS, Chrome and Safari version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.