Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is my macbook a scrap metal now after updating to Catalina?

Hi, I have MacBook pro mid 12, the whole screen is broken so i always use HDMI external cable.

I've made the worst decision ever by upgrading from Mac OS Sierra to catalina. It was just to get the latest Xcode version for my college.

installation was completed successfully, installed some apps, one of them required a restart and this is where i'm, the device never booted up again! I would understand the problem if i downloaded a virus or so but they was normal apps like chrome, office, WhatsApp.. etc.

it was a blank screen. Since I just can see through my external screen I wasn't able to tell if it was just a black screen, stuck at apple logo or the OS somehow can't deliver signal to the screen.

I've seen other people have complaints about this topic but i didn't see a functional answer. I have tried booting into recovery mode, safe mode, SMC reset, NVRAM reset, nothing at all showed up.

I'm not sure if the mac itself does boot in the macbook screen but can't send the signal to the external one or it's just the whole system is in a black screen of death, and fixing the screen to see what's going on will cost me about $500 for an 8 years old laptop. This is an old mac and I can get a new computer at this cost.

At this point i don't know if this MacBook is officially just a piece of metal, the problem could be fixed but through the main screen or there's a solution that i haven't tested. If You can let me know your opinion it would be much appreciated.

This MacBook served me 8 years and it's just disappointed to end this relationship because apple can't adjust their sofware releases to older macbooks that they support. Big respect in terms of hardware, much disappointment towards the software releases. Perhaps it's my fault to upgrade the OS that is officially supported by the manufacturer after all.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2020 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:39 PM

The Command + F1 keys won't work unless you are logged into a user account (years ago this could be toggled at the login screen). You can try to blindly log into your account by pressing the first letter of the user account name followed by pressing the "Return" key. Then type your password and press the "Return" key again to submit the password. Give the system a minute to log in before trying the Command + F1 toggle for mirroring displays.

If this doesn't work, then force the laptop into Clamshell mode by closing the display lid on the laptop and use an external mouse & keyboard. In theory you should be able to Option Boot, or access Recovery Mode, or Internet Recovery Mode this way if you are quick enough to close the lid after powering on the laptop and using the external keyboard to access these other boot options. If you still have problems try an SMC reset (must use the built-in keyboard) and a PRAM reset (use the external USB keyboard and hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes while the laptop lid is closed). It can be very hard to get the Apple laptop to use an external display if the internal display is mostly working.

Try booting into Safe Mode as well while using Clamshell mode.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 1:39 PM in response to AhMedZzz

The Command + F1 keys won't work unless you are logged into a user account (years ago this could be toggled at the login screen). You can try to blindly log into your account by pressing the first letter of the user account name followed by pressing the "Return" key. Then type your password and press the "Return" key again to submit the password. Give the system a minute to log in before trying the Command + F1 toggle for mirroring displays.

If this doesn't work, then force the laptop into Clamshell mode by closing the display lid on the laptop and use an external mouse & keyboard. In theory you should be able to Option Boot, or access Recovery Mode, or Internet Recovery Mode this way if you are quick enough to close the lid after powering on the laptop and using the external keyboard to access these other boot options. If you still have problems try an SMC reset (must use the built-in keyboard) and a PRAM reset (use the external USB keyboard and hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes while the laptop lid is closed). It can be very hard to get the Apple laptop to use an external display if the internal display is mostly working.

Try booting into Safe Mode as well while using Clamshell mode.

is my macbook a scrap metal now after updating to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.