Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Macbook Pro to get?

Hello,

I need advice on which macbook pro to get. I currently have a mid 2012 macbook pro 13" with 8GB Memory, 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel core i7, and 750GB of storage (with 336GB still available after a massive declutter). The past four years of this laptop have been frustrating to say the least, with issues with the ram regularly coming loose, startup issues, extremely slow performance, regular crashing and after several trips to apple it's time for an upgrade.

I have been looking at the 2020 13" macbooks and am struggling to decide where to upgrade. The £1,799 option is a little to out of my comfortable price range so have been looking at the two cheaper options.

I am an illustrator and regularly use software such as Adobe illustrator, dimensions and Indesign , I have also just started to use after effects- but this is more a hobby and less a priority. I also use an ipad pro to draw and it would be great to connect it up with the laptop.

Based on this it seems I would benefit from upgrading the 8GB to the 16GB Memory.

My question therefore is which if any upgrades are necessary/ should I prioritise when purchasing a new macbook . In terms of long term performance should I be looking at upgrading from 1.4GHZ to the 2GHZ Quad core processor or the storage from 256GB to 512GB, which one is more important?

Financially it would put me under strain to purchase the full set at £1799, but what I don't want to do is regret not and end up having to purchasing a new laptop in the near future. So please let me know if you think this may be the case.

The other option is to upgrade my current laptop with a new RAM and storage etc , however I don't know enough about this to know whether it is a sensible option.

Hopefully I have made sense and haven't rambled too much, please let me know if you need anymore information.

Thank you in advance!

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 23, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:51 PM

I currently have a mid 2012 macbook pro 13" with 8GB Memory, 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel core i7, and 750GB of storage

That was a well-equipped Mac in its day. Would you agree it served you well for a long time?

If you want to enjoy a similarly long economic life, then I believe you will arrive at the same conclusion: spend the additional money now, and you probably won't be considering a replacement until 2028.

For the purposes you intend all the upgrades you describe are important, but if you had to choose just one it would be storage. I suggest more than 512 GB, because you needed a "massive declutter" just to result in what would be only about 100 GB left. How much of that 100 GB will be left after eight years? I'm guessing you won't make it that far.

Get 1 TB storage, get the i7, and then bear in mind RAM isn't upgradable before you lock yourself in to 8 GB forever. You'll thank me in eight years.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 8:51 PM in response to aimeefromgbr

I currently have a mid 2012 macbook pro 13" with 8GB Memory, 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel core i7, and 750GB of storage

That was a well-equipped Mac in its day. Would you agree it served you well for a long time?

If you want to enjoy a similarly long economic life, then I believe you will arrive at the same conclusion: spend the additional money now, and you probably won't be considering a replacement until 2028.

For the purposes you intend all the upgrades you describe are important, but if you had to choose just one it would be storage. I suggest more than 512 GB, because you needed a "massive declutter" just to result in what would be only about 100 GB left. How much of that 100 GB will be left after eight years? I'm guessing you won't make it that far.

Get 1 TB storage, get the i7, and then bear in mind RAM isn't upgradable before you lock yourself in to 8 GB forever. You'll thank me in eight years.

May 24, 2020 4:07 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John,

Thanks for all your advice! Yes it served me really well for a long time, it was only in the last few years that it started to have trouble as I was using it for larger projects.

I think you are right!

It would be best to spend the money now rather than regret it later, just might have to sell an arm and a leg to do so.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated!

May 24, 2020 7:32 AM in response to aimeefromgbr

You're welcome. If you had asked about it when your Mac started to have trouble I might have recommended replacing its original hard disk drive with a solid state drive. It's a simple procedure that remains an option for you to consider, but at this point I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money on a 2012 model Mac.

The fact you experienced problems with RAM modules coming loose is a contributing factor in expressing that reluctance. If you had to remove them again it's another opportunity for an intermittent connection (if that's what it is) to fail completely. Memory module sockets are not easily replaced.

Apple is no different than any other consumer electronic equipment manufacturer in that they're constantly seeking ways to minimize the possibility of user-inflicted damage. Eliminating what used to be considered user-replaceable components (batteries, memory, storage) is one way to accomplish that. Since there is no way to upgrade those components to adapt to future needs, you have to anticipate those needs when you purchase your Mac. I wish it were not so, but that's what the market demands.

May 24, 2020 7:56 AM in response to aimeefromgbr

Hi Aimee

John is quite right in recommending that you spend as much as you can manage, since you can't upgrade the hardware in the future.

Since you are an artist using Adobe products, you might consider 16GB of memory as a high priority, with faster CPU next, and lowest the size of the SSD. This assumes you have a good cloud storage plan in place -- Apple's iCloud is a good value in my opinion.

The tough thing is that there really is not a one size fits all answer here -- it really depends on how you use your devices.

There actually is one option for speed in the creative world that is upgradeable in the future. A new lappy WILL be able to use an external GPU, which of course can be added at any time. This really speeds up rendering and other graphics intensive tasks like crazy.

Best of luck!

May 24, 2020 11:40 AM in response to John Galt

Yes I have looked into that as an option and from what i've read/watched it seems like a fairly simple procedure which I'm happy to do if its the best option. However like you said it's an old laptop now and I don't want to spend lots of money on it only to have to buy a new laptop in a years time anyways.

In 2017 when I first had issues with the laptop turning on I had the following parts replaced covered under consumer law -

MLB, 2.9 Ghz Replacement

Memory,SODIMM,4GB,DDR3,1600

Memory,SODIMM,4GB,DDR3,1600

and then in 2018 I had the following part replaced -Hard Drive Bracket, Front, with IR/Sleep/HD Cable

However even still from time to time the computer will fail to start up due to the RAM needing to be reseated, when I spoke to apple about this they said to just open it and resit the RAM each time- easy enough but not practical when using the laptop outside of my home.

Based on this I'm assuming that I'd likely still have these same issues even if I replaced the hardrive with an SSD? And therefore would be better of going with a new model instead of upgrading my current one.

Thanks again for your help!

May 24, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Lycoming360

Hello,

Thank you for your help! Yes I agree I think 16GB memory is top priority - it is what is recommended by adobe for the software I use and for only £100 extra it seems well worth it.

Upgrading the CPU is the most expensive cost im struggling with, but based on what you guys are saying it seems necessary.

I didn't know about the possibility of an external GPU so thank you for this top tip.

I think based on the excellent advice you guys have given I am better of going with the higher spec laptop and seeing it as a long term investment, then crossing my fingers and toes that I get the work in to pay it off !!

Thank you again for your advice !

May 24, 2020 11:53 AM in response to aimeefromgbr

... when I spoke to apple about this they said to just open it and resit the RAM each time- easy enough but not practical when using the laptop outside of my home.

I agree that's an impracticable workaround at best. The RAM sockets themselves may have become weak leading to intermittent contact, or the solder joints may have developed microscopic cracks. That's not unheard of in those Macs, or electronic equipment in general. From a design perspective connections are weak points in any electronic device.

If not for the possibility of perhaps making the problem worse, I'd suggest removing the memory modules, cleaning their contact surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, and reinstalling them. It's one thing to do that to my own equipment but I'm reluctant to suggest it to someone else.

May 29, 2020 5:28 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John,

Apologies for the late reply! I am going to do a full back up -just waiting on a larger hard drive and then clear the laptop and then clean the contact surfaces like you suggested - I figure it’s worth at least trying If it will save me thousands of pounds. Then if it starts running smoothly I will look into investing in the upgrades for it. And If not I am going to take your advice and invest in the higher spec MacBook.

Thanks again for all your great advice! I will definitely be coming to the apple forums first in the future, much appreciated!

Aimee

Which Macbook Pro to get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.