Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is better, 2013 Mac Pro or New Macbook Pro?

My current machine is a Mac Pro, late 2013 model, 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 and a 1 TB SSD. I have owned it from new and it was originally a 6-Core, 16 GB machine that I upgraded to the current spec myself about a year ago.

I run it with a Samsung Odyssey G9 C49RG90SSR screen these days which is about a year old and do mostly Adobe Creative Cloud work like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreaweaver and Premier Pro, so a reasonably heavy workload.

Runs sweet as a nut and is a decent machine.

But, It's time to move up to a newer model, and I'm considering going laptop because nowadays I need the portability, but when at home can still run it with the same screen, wireless keyboard and mouse, just run it closed and then take it away when I need to.

So, I'm considering MacBook Pro, 16", Apple M1 Max chip with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD as the new contender.

So, 2 questions...

Given that both old and new have 64 GB RAM, which will perform better when old has 12-Core processor and new has 10-Core processor? I definitely am looking for an improvement in performance.

And, I see that the Macbook Airs are now shipped with the M2 chip but this one has M1, so is the M1 superior to M2, or is it better and I should wait until the Macbook Pro is released with the M2?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 1:09 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 3, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Sewer Sleuth

Yes, but only IF you need the extra computing power. More "can" be better, if you need the extra power. Think of it this way. You may drive a car with the most horsepower available. But if you drive the car in the city at city speed limit, the extra horsepower is overkill. Do you do significant video editing, such as processing really large 4K or 6K video files on Final Cut Pro? If you do that routinely, the M1 Pro Max would be a great option. But don't spend the extra money if you don't honestly need the extra horsepower.

Which is better, 2013 Mac Pro or New Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.