Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read only Privilege on External Hard Drive

I am logged on to MacBook Pro (2017) as myself, and I am shown in Users & groups as *****me, the Administrator.

Now, after several months since the last time, I try to reconnect to a SABRENT External Hard Drive I am advised in "Get Info" that "You can only read".

Although, in Sharing & Permissions, I am listed as *****(me) with Read & Write Privilege, it appears that the Hard Drive has not recognised *******me, and thinks I am "staff" or "everyone"

I have unlocked the "Get info" and tried to assogn Privilege "Read & Write" to everyone, but do not have the authotiy

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 24, 2020 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 6:55 AM

That drive is formatted NTFS for Windows. Macs can only read not write to NTFS formatted drives.

If you were able to write to this drive in the past then you were using a third party app that provided that functionality. Paragon and Tuxera are two such apps.

4 replies

Read only Privilege on External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.