Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition while trying to perform clean install Catalina!

While I trying to perform a clean install on my Macbook Pro, I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition which is used by new MacOS Catalina. Now, there is only one single partition on my mac and the computer asks me if I want to install the OS on that single partition. I have no idea what should I do or how can I create the Macintosh HD - Data partition again and install Catalina properly.

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 11:18 AM

Give this a try:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a disk name, usually, "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 11:18 AM in response to cmltokatli

Give this a try:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a disk name, usually, "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

I accidentally deleted the Macintosh HD - Data partition while trying to perform clean install Catalina!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.