Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera not connected

i have macbook pro 2017 model and my camera is not showing in any app. when i open any app like photobooth or facetime that show your camera is't connected and i tried all thing which is on internet like update my macbook , smc reset and etx

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 11:46 AM

abhi873 Said:

in hardware they did show nothing for camera........

———-

Reinstall the Mac OS, but Back Up First:

This has been reported many times on these forums. So, the next update might fix this, if you were to use Catalina. But not using Catalina, then perform a reinstall. Nothing would be lost. It’s just that missing system files and corrupt settings, would be reinstalled and repaired, respectively.

How to:

1. Reinstall the macOS:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Then....

2. Reinstall the MacOS.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Boot holding: [Command + R], as mentioned in the link.

If that is of no success, then it is a hardware issue.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 11:46 AM in response to abhi873

abhi873 Said:

in hardware they did show nothing for camera........

———-

Reinstall the Mac OS, but Back Up First:

This has been reported many times on these forums. So, the next update might fix this, if you were to use Catalina. But not using Catalina, then perform a reinstall. Nothing would be lost. It’s just that missing system files and corrupt settings, would be reinstalled and repaired, respectively.

How to:

1. Reinstall the macOS:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Then....

2. Reinstall the MacOS.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Boot holding: [Command + R], as mentioned in the link.

If that is of no success, then it is a hardware issue.

May 24, 2020 10:32 AM in response to abhi873

abhi873 Said:

"camera not connected: i have macbook pro 2017 model and my camera is not showing in any app. when i open any app like photobooth or facetime that show your camera is't connected and i tried all thing which is on internet like update my macbook , smc reset and etx"

-------

Reset the NVRAM too.

Seeing a photo on the bottom-right of the open window on your screenshot, it seems that camera may be working fine - it's just the app has been affected.

So, reinstalling that macOS ought to fix this.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Boot holding: [Command + R].

May 24, 2020 11:50 AM in response to abhi873

abhi873 Said:

"you saw this picture below that app is clicked 1 year ago when my camera was working fine"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support, then perform the macOS reinstall.

Sometimes changes are made to the Mac (i.e. updates), and then the macOS becomes corrupted, technically. So, reinstall the macOS. See where that takes you.

May 24, 2020 1:16 PM in response to abhi873

Just a couple of ideas.

#1 Your battery is far below the 60% limit. That's usually the lowest Apple recommends before charging it. Have you tried plugging it in and seeing if the camera appears? I'm only mentioning this because the camera may draw more power and will cause a shutdown when you're below 30%.

Secondly, since reinstalling the OS didn't help then you may need to do a full erase and reformat. The drivers for your camera may have disappeared or there's a corrupt file/s installed that is causing the camera not to function.

May 24, 2020 2:28 PM in response to abhi873

I can't speculate on something I truly do not know but you should always make attempts at resolving software issues before deciding it's a hardware problem. That's why when something has just gone wrong with my Mac I make sure everything is backed up and completely erase the drive. That's the easiest way to know if it's a hardware issue. A clean drive with a fresh install of the OS with nothing else installed shouldn't present any problems such as the camera not being recognized. Try that first.

camera not connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.