Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac Desktop image now limited to Catalina?

Until very recently, I enjoyed my own photos as the desktop images. Now, suddenly, I can only use Catalina images from this folder: System/Library/Desktop Pictures.

I attempted to rename a few of my photos to start with "Catalina" but discovered I cannot put any images into that folder.

I can use my own photos for the screensaver.

Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina

iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2012

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 24, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 11:59 AM

First make sure your Photos library is designated the System Photos Library:

Next if necessary boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down, reset the Desktop Image and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Lastly if still a problem follow the instructions in this Apple document: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 11:59 AM in response to sje45

First make sure your Photos library is designated the System Photos Library:

Next if necessary boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down, reset the Desktop Image and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Lastly if still a problem follow the instructions in this Apple document: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support 

May 29, 2020 3:23 PM in response to Old Toad

Curiouser and curiouser. This is what I see:

I don't know why my photo library is named iPad Photos Library.

There are two iPhoto libraries; one is mine and the other is my partner's.

Aperture is mine (was mine).

And this is what it looks like when I try to set my preferences for Desktop images:

I don't know why it will not allow me to escape Catalina.

I am puzzled.

May 25, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Old Toad

After I followed the steps you listed, (by the way, I was surprised to see the safe mode screen show Catalina in stark black, yellow, red, very dark colors), no change resulted. However, looking more carefully at the Photos Preferences General window, I see this: Library Location: myname > Pictures > iPad Photos Library.photoslibrary

This seems very odd, that it points to iPad Photos.

Any idea about how to change this?

Thank you.

May 31, 2020 10:55 AM in response to sje45

PROBLEM SOLVED.

When I want to choose my own pictures for the desktop, and have them change, I have to click on one of the photos in the group. Then Preferences lets me choose how often to change the picture. All good.

Now I wonder if this is a new step; I don't remember doing anything that resulted in Catalina being my default desktop image.

I still wonder why my Photos Library is called iPad, but I guess it does not matter.

Thank you for taking me to places on my iMac that I never noticed before.

Why is my iMac Desktop image now limited to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.