Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete files in System > Library > Desktop Pictures folder

I need to delete and add some new pics in Catalina Desktop Pictures folders. In the past this could be easily done but this new update does not seem to allow this.

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 3:09 AM

Catalina is a departure from prior releases of macOS because it places the entire operating system, and applications on a special read-only (to you) APFS drive partition. Thus you cannot modify it, even with elevated user privileges.

I haven't tried this, but you may be able to create a Desktop Pictures folder in your local user Library folder, and the operating system may search that for your picture additions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 3:09 AM in response to Help-and-Thanks-you

Catalina is a departure from prior releases of macOS because it places the entire operating system, and applications on a special read-only (to you) APFS drive partition. Thus you cannot modify it, even with elevated user privileges.

I haven't tried this, but you may be able to create a Desktop Pictures folder in your local user Library folder, and the operating system may search that for your picture additions.

Oct 13, 2019 11:27 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks so much for your fast reply. Your response brings up another question. Is there a way to default the setting so the OS grabs the desktop photos from the desktop pic folder located in the Library >Desktop Pictures folder? I will use this folder for my screensavers and desktop pic.s I was able to combine the old and new OS pic in this folder. To be clear I cannot change the pic location in System > Library > Desktop Pictures folder but I can change these in the Library > Desktop Pictures folder. Apple's OS had two places were Desktop Pictures are stored.

I don't use the folder for personal pics just the Apple desktop pics that come with the new operating system. Over the past 10 years, I take the best of the new OS photos released by Apple and just add them to the OS Desktop Pic in the System Library folder so I have all the best pics Apple has included for the past 10 years.

Oct 13, 2019 11:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks so much for your fast reply. I read the previous response from Barney-15E below and realized after reading your reply you've answered my new question.

Over the past 10 years, I take the best of the new OS photos released by Apple and just add them to the OS Desktop Pic in the System Library folder so I have all the best pics Apple has included for the past 10 years. I use this folder for my screensavers and desktop pics. I will try to see if I can default to the Desktop Pictures folder in the local user Library folder for my screen saver and desktop pics. This should solve my problem but I will not be able to see the new OS pics released in Catalina:(

How can I delete files in System > Library > Desktop Pictures folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.