Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent complete crash during work with 3D Software (MagicaVoxel + Unity)

Hello,

after ca. 30 minutes of work the iMac completely crashes.

The Computer does not react to keyboard and mouse anymore.

I already searched if the issues are linked to the Application I use but I found nothing about this kind of crash.

I exported the project to another iMac (Company Equipment at home due Homeoffice)

And I don't have these issues.

Does anybody know what's going on?

iMac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2020 3:08 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

May 24, 2020 3:24 PM in response to Jacklog

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps? If so download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 24, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello,

thanks for the quick response.

I do not have any Cleaner, optimizing or anti-virus app. The only thing I tried was the Mac diagnostics and it say that everything is okay.

But I am really concerned that there is something working with the GPU. Because it only happens when I developing something in Unity

I downloaded the EtreCheck and ran it with full access.

May 25, 2020 6:10 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey,

so today I had no crashes so far.

But I ran CPU and GPU Benchmark in CineBench and something that is called Valley (I had no other GPU Benchmarks)

And there is some kind of noticeable coil whining (German: Spulenfiepen)

I'm a bit surprised that I've never noticed it before.

Can this be a hint, that there is a defect?

May 25, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Jacklog

Jack, not sure what a Coil whine is, but from this I'd guess a PSU problem or Graphics Card problem...

https://www.howtogeek.com/297166/what-is-coil-whine-and-can-i-get-rid-of-it-on-my-pc/

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

May 26, 2020 3:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey,

during the benchmark the GPU was about 97 degree Celsius. Is that normal form an iMac Pro?

My Gaming PC never surpasses the 80 degree mark.

i know coil whining from nividia gpu cards.

And to be honest I am a bit surprised that also Macs are suffer from this problem. That’s why I fear that is something more serious.

the iMac is now 1.5 Years old.

I’ve never opened it and I was hoping that I never have to. (At least not for the first 4 Years)

thank you for the recommendation.

May 27, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Jacklog

Could be either, for my money all iMacs are under cooled in the interest of quietness, & though I don't have your model to better guess I'd say there is something really wrong with yours.

My Macs would be pretty useless if it weren't for 3rd Party Software, I use very little of Apple's included Software, mostly only to help out here & elsewhere with all the problems.

Frequent complete crash during work with 3D Software (MagicaVoxel + Unity)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.