Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edit Numbers headers and footers

I am trying to edit the text in the headers and footers. In print view I am not seeing or recognising the "three fields" mentioned in the online instructions?

I cannot edit or delete any text in the header or footer. Id appreciate some help.

Thank you.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 24, 2020 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 9:52 PM

Hi gecko,

The page header and page footer boxes are available only in Print Setup mode.

Press command-P to get there.

In Print Setup, place the pointer near the top (or bottom) of the first page (top left). The three header boxes will show above the table. and…

The three footer boxes will show at the bottom of the page. (The Page number seen in the middle footer box is apparently set by default, as I don't remember placing one for this document.)

The left and right boxes will align entered text to the closest page margin. The centre box will align text to the horizontal centre of the page, as seen for the 1 in the image.

If you use only one of the boxes, text will overflow from it into the nest box(es). If you use more than one, there will still be some overlap, but it will be shortened by text in the 'extra' box.

Regards,

Barry

PS: if not printing at this time, remember to click Done to exit Print setup mode and return to edit mode for the document.

B.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 9:52 PM in response to gumnut-gecko

Hi gecko,

The page header and page footer boxes are available only in Print Setup mode.

Press command-P to get there.

In Print Setup, place the pointer near the top (or bottom) of the first page (top left). The three header boxes will show above the table. and…

The three footer boxes will show at the bottom of the page. (The Page number seen in the middle footer box is apparently set by default, as I don't remember placing one for this document.)

The left and right boxes will align entered text to the closest page margin. The centre box will align text to the horizontal centre of the page, as seen for the 1 in the image.

If you use only one of the boxes, text will overflow from it into the nest box(es). If you use more than one, there will still be some overlap, but it will be shortened by text in the 'extra' box.

Regards,

Barry

PS: if not printing at this time, remember to click Done to exit Print setup mode and return to edit mode for the document.

B.

May 24, 2020 10:04 PM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

things have taken a turn for the worst with numbers - I am unable to open my file and other numbers files.

Error message: ".xml file is missing".

I have been using numbers for many years without problems. Last couple of days, nothing up problem.

Can I fix this? Or Does this mean my iMac OSX Lion 10.7.5 needs to be replaced?

Kind regards,

V

May 24, 2020 10:43 PM in response to gumnut-gecko

Hi V,

The most common cause of hat error message is attempting to open with Numbers '09, a Numbers file created in or last saved from Numbers 3 or later. The file format used by Numbers '09 used (and required) an INDEX.XML file as part of the package that was the .numbers file. Versions after Numbers '09 (version 3 and later) use a different file format that did not require (and did not produce or include) an INDEX.XML file.

As Numbers versions for iCloud and iOS were introduced and syncing between devices became easier, any Numbers file that passed through an iOS device or iCloud was affected by the change in file types.

If you have Time Machine running (or some other backup system, you may be able to recover an earlier version of the problem file(s), and proceed from there—isolating the file(s) from iOS and iCloud versions of Numbers.

Fixing the files, assuming I've correctly diagnosed the problem, would require finding someone running

Yosemite or El Capitan (or later version of OS X) and a version of Numbers capable of opening the files as they are now AND exporting them to Numbers '09 format, or to .xls (Excel format, then returning them to you to be opened in Numbers '09.

Moving ahead—There's a large gap between Lion and Catalina. Perhaps the highest cliff is the Catalina requirement that all applications must run in 64bit mode. For most, if not all the applications on your iMac, written to run in 32 bit processors, that means they would need to be replaced if you wanted them on the new computer.

Regards,

Barry

Edit Numbers headers and footers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.