You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duration of Support for 7th gen ipads

How long will ipad 7th generation be supported when compared to 5th gen mini?

Would it be wise to purchase entry level ipad in 2020.Expecting a 5years of usage for a 7th gen a10 processor.

Thanks in advance for ur answer :-)

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on May 24, 2020 9:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 9:55 PM

Hello,

Apple does not release their end of life schedule for devices ahead of time. It would not be out of the realm of expectation for iPad (7th generation) to be supported for at least 4 more years plus an additional 3 years for application support. iPad Air (1st generation) was released over 7 years ago and while it’s last major update was iOS 12, it still runs most applications available on the App Store.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2020 9:55 PM in response to Hareish

Hello,

Apple does not release their end of life schedule for devices ahead of time. It would not be out of the realm of expectation for iPad (7th generation) to be supported for at least 4 more years plus an additional 3 years for application support. iPad Air (1st generation) was released over 7 years ago and while it’s last major update was iOS 12, it still runs most applications available on the App Store.

May 24, 2020 10:04 PM in response to QuickPost

I was confused when many youtubers claimed a10 to be an outdated chip which would have support only for a few more years. Is it worthy to get it provided the performance is enough for my needs sir? Or should i purchase mini to be future proof. Cuz both are released the same year i dont know how will mini be more future proof except for performance.

May 24, 2020 10:15 PM in response to Hareish

Hello,

While Apple’s A10 processor was introduced a few years ago, it is sufficiently powered for most users. Apple also sells the iPad Air (3rd generation) which shares the same A12 processor as in with the iPad mini (5th generation). iPad Air (3rd generation) has a slightly larger display and a few other perks. I know several people who use iPad (7th generation) and they do not have any complaints about its performance. I personally use an iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) which has Apple’s A10X processor. While the A10X is slightly more powerful than the standard A10, I have no complaints with it. If for some reason after your purchase you do not find that iPad (7th generation) is sufficiently powerful for what you need then you have 14 days to return it.

Duration of Support for 7th gen ipads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.