Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen/file sharing broken

I need reconnect my newer MacBook to a screen and file share with two older Macs.

The disconnection happened a long time ago but I need to transfer some files from the old iMac. It has no mouse or keyboard but I can control it via screen sharing with another old MacBook.

I believe I have found the solution but I don't understand it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8616638?answerId=250193564022#250193564022

What is SMB? I don't seat my system preferences.

Posted on May 25, 2020 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 4:58 AM

SMB stands for Server Message Block and is the Windows file sharing protocol which Apple has set as the default file sharing protocol. It has nothing to do with Screen Sharing.

SMB is required to share out an APFS (new format) drive. It is not required for File Sharing an HFS+ (old format) drive. Your new Mac can communicate over both.

You would only need to set SMB for sharing from the new Mac, not for connecting to the old Macs.

The old Macs should be file sharing using AFP. Try direct connecting to them using Connect to Server (cmd-K) in finder. Use the afp://<IP address> URL to connect.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 4:58 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

SMB stands for Server Message Block and is the Windows file sharing protocol which Apple has set as the default file sharing protocol. It has nothing to do with Screen Sharing.

SMB is required to share out an APFS (new format) drive. It is not required for File Sharing an HFS+ (old format) drive. Your new Mac can communicate over both.

You would only need to set SMB for sharing from the new Mac, not for connecting to the old Macs.

The old Macs should be file sharing using AFP. Try direct connecting to them using Connect to Server (cmd-K) in finder. Use the afp://<IP address> URL to connect.

May 25, 2020 5:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Thank you.

Any idea why I cannot connect directly in the Finder? The older computers can connect to the newest one.

May 25, 2020 5:20 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

Any idea why I cannot connect directly in the Finder? The older computers can connect to the newest one.

No. Even if you could see them, connecting through that has been sketchy. You can connect initially, but if it goes to sleep, it will appear connected when you wake up, but if you try to open a folder it errors out with, "The original item cannot be found."

Connect to Server seems to work better.

Does that still give you the option to Screen Share once connected?

I just realized I can check that last one myself. Not enough coffee, yet.

May 25, 2020 5:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Thank you.

May 25, 2020 5:22 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

No. Even if you could see them, connecting through that has been sketchy. You can connect initially, but if it goes to sleep, it will appear connected when you wake up, but if you try to open a folder it errors out with, "The original item cannot be found."
Connect to Server seems to work better.

Does that still give you the option to Screen Share once connected?
I just realized I can check that last one myself. Not enough coffee, yet.

Sorry I have no idea why I reposted responses.

I'm tired too. :P

Yes I can screen share but the old iMac is incredibly slow to respond (the mouse cursor is working properly but clicking on something means a long wait)

May 25, 2020 5:26 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

The mouse is responding properly but when I click on Finder or apps nothing happens.

Sorry, I don't know about that.

Maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting.

I did discover that if you open the Screen Sharing app, you can Open Recent connections, so no need to establish File Sharing, first.

Yes I can screen share but the old iMac is incredibly slow to respond (the mouse cursor is working properly but clicking on something means a long wait)

That would be a latency issue that I don't know how to fix, either.

How are they connected to the network? Ethernet cable or WiFi?

screen/file sharing broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.