Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image thumbnail views

Hi

Im not sure if i'm posting in the right forum but hopefully someone can help me out.

I have recently purchased a Canon 90D camera which has CR3 RAW files.I have downloaded the images onto a folder on my desktop. When i open the folder to view the images the main image shows i highlight it but all of the thumbnails are not images but PS icons (I use Photoshop for editing)

There is also no Exif details which normally appears on the left side of the preview pane in the folder window. Also the .XMP files are blank.

I also have other folders on my desktop which contain CR.2 Raw files from another Canon Camera and the thumbnails all open as images as they should do.

I can view all of the images properly in Adobe Bridge & Lightroom etc

The problem seems to be trying to view them via the Mac preview

I have made sure all of the view options in the folders are the same for the CR3 & CR2

I know this is not a major issue as i can view the images in other programs but it's just annoying

to be able to view Thumbnails in one format and not the other.

I hope someone could give some advice please.

Regards Adrian

Posted on May 25, 2020 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 4:11 AM

Hi

I have been informed that the Canon CR3 files cannot be viewed as thumbnails on a Mac or Windows default software.

The only way is via Adobe Bridge or Canon DPP software. Some people have said the CR3 files are a different codec to

CR2 etc so Canon wouldn't release a codec to enable the files to be read as normal. (A bit techie for me)

I have downloaded a trial version of FastRawviewer and i must admit i'm very impressed and it does everything i need

It does the same job as Adobe Bridge but i think it is better.

Hope this is of some help

Regards Adrian

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 4:11 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi

I have been informed that the Canon CR3 files cannot be viewed as thumbnails on a Mac or Windows default software.

The only way is via Adobe Bridge or Canon DPP software. Some people have said the CR3 files are a different codec to

CR2 etc so Canon wouldn't release a codec to enable the files to be read as normal. (A bit techie for me)

I have downloaded a trial version of FastRawviewer and i must admit i'm very impressed and it does everything i need

It does the same job as Adobe Bridge but i think it is better.

Hope this is of some help

Regards Adrian

Image thumbnail views

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.