Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2020, using internal microphone disables wired headphones?

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this issue... I've been using wired headphones with USB C hub that has a 3.5mm jack, audio delivery is completely fine until I attempt to use the iPad's microphone at the same time. As soon as the microphone gets turned on the iPad automatically reroutes the output sound to the speakers.

I'm unsure if this issue is due to the adapter I'm using, or if its a software issue (iOS 13.5) that occurs with any 3.5mm adapter?

I'm primarily looking to use my existing headphones during video calls.

Thanks!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 25, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 8:59 AM

Answering my own question for future reference, it was a compatibility issue with the adapter I was using.

Tried the Google USB-C to 3.5 mm adapter, it allows for the wired headphone AND the internal microphone to be used at the same time. Same wired headphones with no mic, different adapter and it now functions perfectly.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 8:59 AM in response to _Tinuviel_

Answering my own question for future reference, it was a compatibility issue with the adapter I was using.

Tried the Google USB-C to 3.5 mm adapter, it allows for the wired headphone AND the internal microphone to be used at the same time. Same wired headphones with no mic, different adapter and it now functions perfectly.

May 25, 2020 9:53 AM in response to _Tinuviel_

This is normal behavior on iPhone and iPad. You either use the plugged in headphones or the internal speakers/microphone, but not both at the same time. Apparently your wired headphones don't have a microphone built in? That is the issue. I'm sure you can still buy wired headphones with a microphone built in. Or you can finally move over to Bluetooth as most BT headphones have microphones built in for calls, etc.

May 25, 2020 10:53 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Anything pre-3.5mm jack removal didn't have this issue with non-microphone headphones, so i suppose it became and issue with the move to a single port? I have bluetooth headphones and recognize that this would resolve part of the issue. But that still doesn't resolve the issue that I can't use my high-end open back headphones across all uses on the iPad. (Also, open back headphones that have a built in mic aren't really a thing for obvious feedback loop issues but I find them more practical for home video calls since you can still clearly hear your surroundings)

Guess the answer is there is no solution to the iPads inability to route audio output and input to different sources. Suppose I'm out of luck without the purchase of a mod mic (which feels ridiculous for a singular usage).

iPad Pro 2020, using internal microphone disables wired headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.