Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 photo upload to iCloud stalled Photos app

The Photos app on my phone has stalled since beginning 4-5 hours ago to upload 1300+ photos from the phone to iCloud. I cannot edit, message my photos to anyone, nor can I view the videos.

I'm trying to cease/quit the upload, but am worried I will lose images that are on my phone but nowhere else. I tried to transfer new photos from the phone to Photos app on my computer, but it won't upload because it is stalled. I'm in a loop. I would like to cease the iCloud upload and restore all the photos in their original sizes on my phone.

After I realized I was uploading photos to the Cloud and didn't mean to, I have shut down and restarted the phone, and I have reset all settings as well, then restored them. I can view the still photos in Photos and select them, but if I try to view a video, I get the spinning wheel. Also if I try to message a photo I get the error "Unable to share. There was an error while preparing to share. Please try again later."

Thank you for your help.

Posted on May 25, 2020 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 2:42 PM

Hello gkgraphics,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you have an issue with uploading photos to iCloud. I'm happy to help you find some information.

"When you turn on iCloud Photos, the time it takes for your photos and videos to upload to iCloud depends on the size of your collection and your Internet speed. If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual." During that time you will not be able to edit or send any photos. Here is a link with more information.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

If you are still having an issue after reviewing the link, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 2:42 PM in response to gkgraphics

Hello gkgraphics,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you have an issue with uploading photos to iCloud. I'm happy to help you find some information.

"When you turn on iCloud Photos, the time it takes for your photos and videos to upload to iCloud depends on the size of your collection and your Internet speed. If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual." During that time you will not be able to edit or send any photos. Here is a link with more information.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

If you are still having an issue after reviewing the link, please let me know.

Have a great day!

May 27, 2020 7:58 AM in response to jeremy_v

You were correct about the length of time, though we have 5G and there weren't an inordinate amount of images—but also I had to create a log-in account on my desktop for the iPhone user in order for his photos to be displayed on his phone as being connected to the cloud. In other words, the images would not appear on his phone until they were linked through his iCloud account as a logged in user on my desktop. My Mac desktop had only myself as the iCloud user, so creating his own independent login, with iCloud Photos turned on, solved the problem.

Thank you for your response!

iPhone 11 photo upload to iCloud stalled Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.