Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Spreadsheet formatting

I want to create spreadsheets on Apple numbers that are already formatted to fit 1 page, how do I do that?

Otherwise, how can I add the print margin lines in my Numbers books, so that I can see when my tables are going over the 1 page margins I can be reformat them to fit one page. If theres multiple spreadsheets and charts, I would use the page margins as well for layout purposes so that reports are printed correctly

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2020 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 6:19 PM

Hi Alain,

Instructions below assume US Letter sized paper. For A4 and metric dimensions, adjust to fit your page.

Open a new document using the Blank template. The document includes a single table on the single sheet.

Press command-P to move to Print Setup mode, and change the page margins from the default 1 inch to what you want for your single page document. Page margin settings are near the bottom of the Print Setup list in the right sidebar.

Click Done to go back to Edit view.

Go View (menu) Show Rulers. 0 on each ruler is the left or top edge of the print space

Keep the left and top edges of the table at zero on the respective rulers, and revise the supplied table to fit 'exactly' into the print space available on your page. When you think it is right, press command-P to go to Print Setup and check.

Repeat these two steps until you have the largest table that does not trigger additional pages.

In Edit mode, click in the vertical ruler, then drag right to drag a yellow guide line into the document window. Drop this guide at the left edge of the table. Repeat, this time dropping the guide at the right edge of the table.

Then click in the horizontal ruler and drag down to place guidelines at the top and bottom of the table.

If you will sometimes use tables smaller than the 'full page' one you've created, and might want to centre that table on the page, add two more guidelines:

Select the table to show handles at the centres of the bottom boundary and the right boundary.

Drag a vertical guideline to the box at middle bottom of the table.

Drag a horizontal guideline to the box at the middle right.

Save the result as a template, giving it a useful title. The new template will appear in the My templates cection of the Template chooser.

Regard,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 6:19 PM in response to ajain2

Hi Alain,

Instructions below assume US Letter sized paper. For A4 and metric dimensions, adjust to fit your page.

Open a new document using the Blank template. The document includes a single table on the single sheet.

Press command-P to move to Print Setup mode, and change the page margins from the default 1 inch to what you want for your single page document. Page margin settings are near the bottom of the Print Setup list in the right sidebar.

Click Done to go back to Edit view.

Go View (menu) Show Rulers. 0 on each ruler is the left or top edge of the print space

Keep the left and top edges of the table at zero on the respective rulers, and revise the supplied table to fit 'exactly' into the print space available on your page. When you think it is right, press command-P to go to Print Setup and check.

Repeat these two steps until you have the largest table that does not trigger additional pages.

In Edit mode, click in the vertical ruler, then drag right to drag a yellow guide line into the document window. Drop this guide at the left edge of the table. Repeat, this time dropping the guide at the right edge of the table.

Then click in the horizontal ruler and drag down to place guidelines at the top and bottom of the table.

If you will sometimes use tables smaller than the 'full page' one you've created, and might want to centre that table on the page, add two more guidelines:

Select the table to show handles at the centres of the bottom boundary and the right boundary.

Drag a vertical guideline to the box at middle bottom of the table.

Drag a horizontal guideline to the box at the middle right.

Save the result as a template, giving it a useful title. The new template will appear in the My templates cection of the Template chooser.

Regard,

Barry

Numbers Spreadsheet formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.