Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

water damage to iphone 8 plus

anything covered for a iphone 8 plus that fell in pool for literally 3 seconds today

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on May 25, 2020 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 11:24 AM

Same thing just happened to me. iPhone 8 fell into less than 3 ft of water for 1 minute before I jumped in to get it. If it has an IP67 rating and their advertising it as water resistant Apple should be including water damage in their warranties. 😤

11 replies

Jun 23, 2020 2:05 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

It's supposed to be water resistant. The iPhone 8's face coving has a water seal and IP67 protection. IP67 is a waterproof rating that means the device can withstand up to 1m (3ft) of water for up to 30 minutes. If both of us dropped our phones in the pool and retrieved them immediately after, technically they should have been fine. Obviously this was not the case.

My issue is with the fact that Apple uses this rating to advertise their products and labels them as "water resistant" and then specifically chooses not to cover liquid/water damage in their warranties.

Aug 26, 2020 8:40 PM in response to keyhercules

I am happy for you. I was not so fortunate. My iPhone 8 went into the wash for about 3 minutes. When I retrieved it, it was fine, no apparent damage but less than 24 hours later my screen started glitching. I then noticed the camera appeared to have some condensation behind the lens. So I shut the phone off and quickly looked online for recommendations. I’m hoping my phone isn’t completely damaged. However, I do wish that it did not say water resistant. Because I thought it was water resistant when it fell into the washer, I thought it would be ok. If it didn’t say “water resistant” I would have immediately taken steps to ensure that there was no water damage. I would not have waited until I saw my screen glitching to try to fix. So I agree with everyone who said that listing the phone as water resistant or advertising as water resistant is somewhat misleading.

Jun 23, 2020 5:21 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I've said water resistant both times. I'm not implying the phones are waterproof, I'm well aware they aren't. They are however officially rated as IP67 water resistant which designates that they should be able to withstand being shallowly submerged for a short period of time. Apple making this claim and then not backing it up by covering it in their warranty is a cheap move.

Jun 23, 2020 6:00 PM in response to lilykatheryn

The IP67 rating is based up strictly controlled laboratory tests where the water, temperature and movement is set. There is no water pressure involved at all, they carefully place the phone on a stand and slowly fill the tank with water. They do not drop it. They drop and then hitting the water probably did the majority of damage. Some people can have this happen and get lucky, others not so much.

The other problem is that unless someone videoed you doing this the assumption is whatever you did to trigger the moisture indicators exceed the rating. Almost every post about water damage involves someone dropping their iPhone from a short distance into water that. is 3 feet deep and they quickly fished it out.

water damage to iphone 8 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.