You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem erasing disk on my old iMac

I want to sell or give away my old (mid 2011) iMac. But first I want to erase the disk so that my files and data can't be misappropriated. I've got as far as the Disk Utility in macOS Recovery Mode and selected the internal hard drive, clicked on Erase and then Erase again. But the process fails. When I click on Show Details it says:

Unmounting disk

Couldn't unmount disk

Operation failed

Can anyone help me with how to overcome this problem, please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 25, 2020 10:42 PM

7 replies

May 27, 2020 10:04 AM in response to edmundpw

You mean this part didn't work?

How to erase your disk

1. Start up from macOS Recovery. Then select Disk Utility from the Utilities window and click Continue.
  2. If you're not erasing the disk your Mac started up from, you don't need to start up from macOS Recovery: just open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. 

Choose View > Show All Devices from the menu bar in Disk Utility. The sidebar now shows your disks (devices) and any containers and volumes within them. The disk your Mac started up from is at the top of the list. In this example, Apple SSD is the startup disk:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Problem erasing disk on my old iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.