Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Took photos today with iPhone XR. Some were in HEIC format and others were in JPEG but I didnt make any changes to settings. Why differences?

Took photos today with iPhone XR. Some were in HEIC format and others were in JPEG but I didnt make any changes to settings. Why differences?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 26, 2020 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 12:39 AM

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can set these devices to capture media using the older formats, which are more broadly compatible with other devices and operating systems:

1. Go to Settings > Camera.
  2. Tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format, and only when using iOS 11 or later.
  4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 12:39 AM in response to C-L-N

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can set these devices to capture media using the older formats, which are more broadly compatible with other devices and operating systems:

1. Go to Settings > Camera.
  2. Tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format, and only when using iOS 11 or later.
  4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.