Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Size of photo library seems way less after re-downloading all photos

I am using Photo iCloud Library for my Photo library. On the Mac OS Photos app, I have the setting to download all my photos locally (the total size is around 50GB).

After a bit of tinkering, i managed to somehow break the sync, where my Mac Photos library was no longer syncing with the iCloud library.

This led me to create a new photos library, set it as the system library and simply re-link with iCloud and let all the photos re-download.

All working well so far, but the thing that confused me is this new library is only around 8GB in size, compared to the previous 50GB.

It doesn't appear to be trying to re-download any local photos, so im a bit confused as to why there is such a large disparity in size between the new and old library.

Any helps are advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Posted on May 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 1:35 AM

Which system version you are having installed?

If you are having macOS 10.15 Catalina installed, do not trust the size of the Photos Library you are seeing in the Finder.

The Finder is not updating the size and modification dates regularly for the Photos Library package.

My library is still showing the size it had on the first of February, but I have imported many photos since then.

But the download of the originals may not have finished. The Photos.app does not have any indication, if the download from iCloud Photos is complete. If Photos is showing "updated just now", it just means that the adjustments and metadata are in sync, but not, that Photos has already downloaded all originals, even if the option "Download originals" is enabled. You may want to look inside the Photos Library package.

• Ctrl-click the library in the Finder, then select the command "Show Package Contents".
  • Now look for a subfolder "Masters" (on macOS 10.14 or older) or "originals" (on macOS 10.15).

How large ore these folders with the originals?

A simple way to check the true size of your Photos Library on Catalina is to copy it to a different volume by drag and drop. Strangely, the copy on the external volume will be showing the true size of the library in the Finder.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 1:35 AM in response to andy.lawrence

Which system version you are having installed?

If you are having macOS 10.15 Catalina installed, do not trust the size of the Photos Library you are seeing in the Finder.

The Finder is not updating the size and modification dates regularly for the Photos Library package.

My library is still showing the size it had on the first of February, but I have imported many photos since then.

But the download of the originals may not have finished. The Photos.app does not have any indication, if the download from iCloud Photos is complete. If Photos is showing "updated just now", it just means that the adjustments and metadata are in sync, but not, that Photos has already downloaded all originals, even if the option "Download originals" is enabled. You may want to look inside the Photos Library package.

• Ctrl-click the library in the Finder, then select the command "Show Package Contents".
  • Now look for a subfolder "Masters" (on macOS 10.14 or older) or "originals" (on macOS 10.15).

How large ore these folders with the originals?

A simple way to check the true size of your Photos Library on Catalina is to copy it to a different volume by drag and drop. Strangely, the copy on the external volume will be showing the true size of the library in the Finder.

May 26, 2020 2:21 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

Thank you so much for the quick reply, this cleared up my problem instantly :)

I am on 10.15 Catalina, and you were right, comparing the `originals` folder between both library revealed the exact same size.

So it had indeed finished downloading all originals, just that the Photos Library package wasn't updated correctly in finder.

Thanks so much for the quick answer

Cheers,

Andrew

Size of photo library seems way less after re-downloading all photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.