Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background Activity on my iPhone 11

In the last week, two of my apps, ESPN and Speedtest, have run in the background on two separate occasions and drained my battery both times. This just started happening since my last Software Update. Is there anyone else experiencing this lately.

iPhone 11

Posted on May 26, 2020 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 9:37 AM

Hi Imagemaker22,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Battery life is important, and I'll be glad to see how I can help. I see you've noticed some apps are using significant battery life in the background.

As a start, have you made sure both apps are updated since updating your iOS software? Update apps or use automatic downloads

After updating the apps, see if the same behavior occurs. You may also want to try disabling Background App Refresh temporarily for those apps as a test: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

"Background Activity. This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app.

• To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  • If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data."

I hope this helps. Take care.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Imagemaker22

Hi Imagemaker22,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Battery life is important, and I'll be glad to see how I can help. I see you've noticed some apps are using significant battery life in the background.

As a start, have you made sure both apps are updated since updating your iOS software? Update apps or use automatic downloads

After updating the apps, see if the same behavior occurs. You may also want to try disabling Background App Refresh temporarily for those apps as a test: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

"Background Activity. This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app.

• To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  • If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data."

I hope this helps. Take care.

May 27, 2020 2:39 PM in response to Imagemaker22

Hi Imagemaker22,

Thanks for replying. The specifics would vary by app, but if Background App Refresh is on for a specific app, it would be normal for it to sometimes use battery life. You could try reinstalling the app and turning Background Ground App refresh off, or adjust your settings, by tapping Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

Best wishes.

Background Activity on my iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.