Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer access any of my photos on Photo. All I get is the tutorial about what's new with Photo.

I can no longer access any of my photos on Photo. All I get is the tutorial about what's new with Photo.

Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 26, 2020 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 10:11 PM

That would indicate that Photos has lost track of your photo library and has created a new empty library. You need to track down (or restore) your previous Photos library and switch back to using it.

As a first step, go to the Preferences panel in Photos, select the General option, and copy down the information next to "Library Location:". Now quit the Photos application, then re-launch it while holding down the option key. This should give you a list of all the libraries visible to Photos.

Best case, you will see your previous library there (usually in the Pictures folder in your user storage area, usually named Photos Library.photoslibrary) and one newer library with the name you noted above. Select the previous library and see if your photos are now visible.

If you see more than two libraries in the list, you may need to repeat the process until you find the one with your photos.

If you see only one library and it does not contain your photos, or if you see no library at all, come back and tell us more about what you were doing before you lost track of your library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 10:11 PM in response to acu1

That would indicate that Photos has lost track of your photo library and has created a new empty library. You need to track down (or restore) your previous Photos library and switch back to using it.

As a first step, go to the Preferences panel in Photos, select the General option, and copy down the information next to "Library Location:". Now quit the Photos application, then re-launch it while holding down the option key. This should give you a list of all the libraries visible to Photos.

Best case, you will see your previous library there (usually in the Pictures folder in your user storage area, usually named Photos Library.photoslibrary) and one newer library with the name you noted above. Select the previous library and see if your photos are now visible.

If you see more than two libraries in the list, you may need to repeat the process until you find the one with your photos.

If you see only one library and it does not contain your photos, or if you see no library at all, come back and tell us more about what you were doing before you lost track of your library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.