Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install earler version of Preview

Is it possible to install an older version of Preview in Mohave? Such as the version from El Capitan, for instance.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 26, 2020 11:29 AM

10 replies

May 29, 2020 11:04 AM in response to snowshed

What problems are you having with Preview? Do you have any guarantee that it's the app that's the problem and not the environment, i.e. the system, that it's in?

What fixes have you tried?

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

May 27, 2020 1:13 PM in response to snowshed

Replacing a current version of Preview with one from a previous operating system constitutes reverse engineering, which Apple advises one not to do in the macOS licensing agreement. I am aware that others on the Internet have not paid attention to the licensing details, but in the Apple Support community, anything that violates Apple licensing agreements would also be violating the terms of use here — so no still stands.

May 27, 2020 2:15 PM in response to snowshed

As a fellow user, and contributor, I must adhere to Apple's licensing and support community policies — if I want to retain my site access privileges. What you do to your operating system installation is up to you. However, if you have issues with the wrong version of Preview for the operating system it was intended, you will find little to no assistance here, and may find yourself reinstalling the operating system. Have a recent Time Machine backup before you embark on this Preview episode.

May 27, 2020 2:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

I've done Time Machine backups since 2009. Currently, every 4 hours, I don't need them to be done any more frequently.

Apple communities are my last resort for support. Why? The answers are usually of no value to me, as the problem is not solved. I usually have the same result using the MS communities. :-(

Don't take that as a personal attack, I understand your position. :-)

May 29, 2020 6:27 AM in response to VikingOSX

I didn't take your message to be demeaning, and I apologize if my reply made it seem so.

I suspect we both have our frustrations with people not being willing to do adequate backups. It's the same in the Windows world.

This is the 2nd attempt to post this. Apple was unresponsive, and weather related issues here for both phone and internet.

May 30, 2020 2:13 AM in response to Old Toad

Before we run Etrecheck, let's discuss the issues first. One is a display issue, 2 are usability issues.

Mac Mini 2018, 16 GB RAM. Mojave, up to date. Asus PA 248 Pro Art monitor, 1920X1200 screen resolution. Due to "old eyes", I run 1600X1000. ATM, I've used CMD and + to magnify even more. <sigh>

Pick a text PDF of your choice. Open in Preview, full page. The text is fuzzy. Open the same PDF in Acrobat Reader, resize the Reader window to the same physical size, and the text is razor sharp.

Epson V33 scanner has the same fuzziness in a scan display. This is not a Preview issue, but may indicate it's a hardware problem and not a software problem.

To test if it's a software problem, I need a version of Preview that I know does display sharp text.

Usability issue #1... Inserting signatures

In El Capitan, when you wanted a signature, you could have a signature saved as a graphics file, and import that signature as an image. Position the image, resize, and you're done.

With Mojave, this is no longer possible. Can you import at image into Mojave Preview? Yes, but only as a full page. To insert a signature, you have to use the Signature process. If you have a document that requires a lot of signatures, this process actually takes more steps than using a graphics frame.

Yes, you can copy the signature frame on Page X, and paste it in other places on Page X. But you cannot paste it to Page Y, Z, A, B, or any other page. You have to use the Signature process for each page. I just had to do this with a document from a doctor's office, which is how I discovered it.

Usability issue #2... Concatenating PDF files.

Scenario... You have 12 PDF files that need to be combined into 1. Select the 12 files in Finder, Open. Each file opens in its own window. Then, you select and drag the pages from each window one at a time to the "master" file. (This is in the Help file for Preview.) Save the PDF to a file.

What if you have 400 files to concatenate into a single PDF? You want to do that for me? <G>

Or, what if it were 2,000 + files to concatenate? We'd probably die before we were done. LOL

In El Capitan, select all 2,000 files in Finder, Open. All 2,000 files will open in a single Preview window. Save the PDF file, done.

Which one is the least work for the user?

Before you hold your head in your hands and ask "What kind of nut would want to concatenate 2,000 files?" That nut would be me, and it's something I've done more than once. LOL As well as a lot of other files that were less than 2,000 files each to concatenate.

It you want to know why, just ask. :-)

Install earler version of Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.