Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini still detects monitor when it is unplugged or turned off

I have a Mac mini (2018) that continues to detect an HDMI connected monitor even after the monitor has been powered off/unplugged from power. When I unplug the HDMI cord it does remove it from my display arrangement, but this isn't helpful; I don't want to unplug my HDMI cord from my second monitor when I want to just focus on my main display.

I have already tried the "detect displays" button, deleting the profile, and have rebooted many times.

Editing to add that I don't think this is a residual power issue, as this spans multiple hours - even days - until the HDMI cord is disconnected the mac thinks the monitor is in use.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 26, 2020 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

4 replies

May 27, 2020 10:41 AM in response to kkozy

Both my current 2018 Mac mini, and my previous 2008 Mac Pro would show the second (HDMI TV) display in Displays preference even if i was turned off. With the "Gather Windows" button, you could see its preference and change its settings. The cursor and windows could be moved off the main display over to where the other display would show them, if it was on.

Turning on Mirroring does not make the second display go a way, but it prevents the cursor and windows going over to it, and if you open an app that previously was using that display, its window will come back to the main display.

Mac Mini still detects monitor when it is unplugged or turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.