Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Irish language settings

What’s the difference between the “English (Ireland)” setting , under settings> General> language & regions> iPhone language..... and the “Irish accent” and/or “language” setting under settings> Siri & search> Languages? Does the first one do more like change the grammar or add Irish only words? When I asked Siri about her Irish she said she can’t speak Irish yet. I haven’t heard any words I don’t understand yet… And maybe it was just my imagination but her accent seem to get a little thicker. Just wondering if anybody knew for sure? iPhone 11 Pro.

Posted on May 26, 2020 4:21 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 31, 2020 8:05 AM in response to DumberThan

Oh, and I forgot to mention that a possibly glitchy problem occurred as well. When I ask Siri to set my timer, she replied back confirming the alarm had been set, but she gave it from a 24 hour cycle clock instead of a 12 hour clock. So I checked all the settings I could find but everything was set for 12 hour. I rebooted but that didn’t help. So I’m guessing that’s due to the Language & Regions setting as well. ? I’m kinda confused by that since my regular clock on the home screen is still on 12 hour cycle... but it’s the same app as the timer...🤔 ...as far I know.

May 26, 2020 9:38 PM in response to DumberThan

Normally the setting English (Ireland) for Language would be expected to simply use any differing Irish English spellings for words used in the menus and dialogues of the iOS user interface. If you have English (Ireland) for a keyboard setting, that would also use any differing Irish English spellings for spellcheck when typing text in apps.

None of this involves Irish (Gaeilge) as a language, nor does Siri support that as far as I know.

May 31, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for your help! And thanks for the note about the Irish keyboard as well...I didn’t even know I had that option. And just as a follow up for anyone else who might be reading this, I did discover that in the Maps app Siri calls parking lots “car parks” . And after googling some Irish terminology I then asked Siri if it was going to be a “soft day” and she opened my weather app and replied something like, yes it looks like theres going to be a slight chance for rain. So I feel fairly confident in assuming both of these these are due to the Language and Regions>iPhone language settings.

Irish language settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.