Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade from Mountain Lion higher.

I’ve had to clean install Mountain Lion (through factory reset), after a power outage wiped my hard drive. I’ve been unable to connect to Wifi since this happened (I’ve exhausted options with others on this site), thus as a last resort I thought updating and upgrading the operating system might fix this issue I’ve had. First I tried OS El Capitan, which I downloaded from Apple under their advise to do so before OS Catalina. Just like Yosemite, which I tried after that failure, I had the same experience, where it finished installing, however, there was no request to restart the computer, and after I did so manually, the OS is still 10.8.5... Before installing I thought it was weird that it said that the OS upgrades would only need 6mb of space.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 26, 2020 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 9:19 PM

Hello,

If your end game is to update to macOS 10.15 Catalina then you will first need to update to macOS 10.11. From what it sounds like you are unable to use the traditional update methods. You may need to prepare a macOS 10.11 installation disk and install macOS from that disk. Once your Macintosh is running macOS 10.11 then you can attempt to use the traditional method to update to macOS 10.15.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS 10.11 El Capitan - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 9:19 PM in response to Lionkagehara

Hello,

If your end game is to update to macOS 10.15 Catalina then you will first need to update to macOS 10.11. From what it sounds like you are unable to use the traditional update methods. You may need to prepare a macOS 10.11 installation disk and install macOS from that disk. Once your Macintosh is running macOS 10.11 then you can attempt to use the traditional method to update to macOS 10.15.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS 10.11 El Capitan - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina - Apple Support

Cannot upgrade from Mountain Lion higher.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.