Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 5: Losing Photos After Importing from an SD Card

I've had a problem which has recurred few times after importing photos from an SD card. I've transferred the shots into Photos and seen them appear in the imports window, then emptied the card into the bin, emptied the bin and ejected the card. To my consternation, I then discovered that the photos had disappeared from Photos without trace... They were not to be found in 'Recently Deleted' or anywhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a 27 inch iMac running OSX 10.15.4

Posted on May 27, 2020 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 2:26 AM

Just to be sure about your import procedure: After you have seen the Photos in the "Imports window" that appears when you insert the card, did you select the photos for importing and click the "Import selected items" button and wait until photos gave the message "Imported ... photos"? The "Imports" window is just showing you the photos available for importing and expecting you to make a selection for importing. The photos will not be imported until you select photos for importing and start the import.

If you successfully imported them, the imported photos should appear at the bottom of the "imports" album in the sidebar and also in the All Photos album at the date set by the camera. You should not erase the card, until you have seen the photos in "All Photos" and checked, if they are readable.

You may want to check two things:

• The Photos > Preferences > General: is the option "Importing: Copy items to the Photos Library" still enabled? If you do not copy the items into the Photos Library, you must not erase the card.
  • The date set in your camera, also the format. Is the date in the camera set correctly? Otherwise the photos may be sorted in your library at an unexpected date in "All Photos".

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 2:26 AM in response to MinnieMinno

Just to be sure about your import procedure: After you have seen the Photos in the "Imports window" that appears when you insert the card, did you select the photos for importing and click the "Import selected items" button and wait until photos gave the message "Imported ... photos"? The "Imports" window is just showing you the photos available for importing and expecting you to make a selection for importing. The photos will not be imported until you select photos for importing and start the import.

If you successfully imported them, the imported photos should appear at the bottom of the "imports" album in the sidebar and also in the All Photos album at the date set by the camera. You should not erase the card, until you have seen the photos in "All Photos" and checked, if they are readable.

You may want to check two things:

• The Photos > Preferences > General: is the option "Importing: Copy items to the Photos Library" still enabled? If you do not copy the items into the Photos Library, you must not erase the card.
  • The date set in your camera, also the format. Is the date in the camera set correctly? Otherwise the photos may be sorted in your library at an unexpected date in "All Photos".

Photos 5: Losing Photos After Importing from an SD Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.