Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring content from an iPhone to a new iPhone.

When I set up a new iPhone will the iCloud back up from my current iPhone when downloaded to my new iPhone be a complete replica of current iPhone or would it be better to use a computer for the transfer from my current iPhone to My new iPhone ?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 27, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 6:47 AM

You have not mentioned which new iPhone you are referring to. I would always prefer iCloud over iTunes.

If your new iPhone has a Face ID feature it is never a complete replica.

If you are going to use the same SIM then you may have to re-activate iMessage & FaceTime

If you have Dual SIM then then many setting do not match with that of iPhone SE

iTunes: A backup from your a computer doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

iCloud: iCloud backup doesn’t include information that are synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 6:47 AM in response to Villa57

You have not mentioned which new iPhone you are referring to. I would always prefer iCloud over iTunes.

If your new iPhone has a Face ID feature it is never a complete replica.

If you are going to use the same SIM then you may have to re-activate iMessage & FaceTime

If you have Dual SIM then then many setting do not match with that of iPhone SE

iTunes: A backup from your a computer doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

iCloud: iCloud backup doesn’t include information that are synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

May 28, 2020 5:16 AM in response to Villa57

Many thanks SravanKrA for your helpful response.

I should have included model info.

I’m transferring from the old SE to the new SE.

I have everything backed up to iCloud apart from my gmail content, which I’ve been told can’t be done.

Based on your advice I plan to transfers the backup to my new SE and deal with the email transfer separately after I’ve completed the transfer from the iCloud.

I managed to do that recently after purchasing a new iPad.

Like you, Im retired, 8 years ago, and miss having an IT dept on call, that said, I enjoy figuring out new challenges :)

I live in NZ and am feeling the lack of cricket as I’m sure many of your country men are.

Again many thanks SravanKrA

Transferring content from an iPhone to a new iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.