Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.9.5 Bluetooth speaker connection issues with video

I'm looking for suggestions to resolve an issue that seems to be iTunes specific.

I use Skullcandy's Hesh 3 over-the-ear wireless bluetooth headphones. All system audio plays through the headphones perfectly; YouTube/browser, system audio, VLC, Quicktime 7 (not 10), Movist Pro, you name it, it seems to work fine.

iTunes on the other hand, does not. When connected to the Hesh 3s, if I play a video, there's a tiny, barely audible click but the video doesn't play. The controls show as if the video is playing but it isn't.

The only way to get it working is to disconnect the headphones, play the video then reconnect the headphones. The video then plays normally, though sometimes the audio is out of sync and it can be tricky to get it playing in sync, again.

If I click the "play next" button, if the video's sound is playing, the next video plays with sound. If the video is not working (as described above), the next video does not play either.

This affects both downloaded movies and movie streams through iTunes. If I play a movie purchased through the store, The audio for the menu plays fine (I believe this is like a webpage), but clicking "Play" to get the movie playing, I run into the described bug. This makes it difficult to play a movie as it requires me to close the media window, disconnect the headphones, replay the movie (waiting to hear audio via built-in speakers), reconnect headphones and hope everything is in sync. However, watching iTunes Extras video never works, even with the reconnection dance.

I've had to install Toothfairy (third party app) to make connecting to my headphones a one click operation but it doesn't solve the issue.

This is becoming a real PITA.

I cannot upgrade to Catalina as too much of my work still involves using 32bit apps and plugins, so I'm stuck on Mojave until that changes (years or maybe never).

Any suggestions are most appreciated! How do I log a bug report? Has this been logged before?

A big thank you for your assistance!

---

Mojave 10.14.6 (latest security update, May 27/2020)

MacBook Pro (mid 2012), 2.9 GHz i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR 3

Intel HD Graphic 4000

iTunes 12.9.5

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 27, 2020 9:31 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 28, 2020 7:29 AM in response to tobor68

Hey tobor68,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into an issue using your headphones with iTunes audio. I definitely understand wanting to get this resolved, and I'm happy to help.

Prior to disconnecting/reconnection try using the steps in the resource below to change the output to your headphones?

Change the sound output settings on Mac

If that doesn't work, let us know if you experience the same behavior when using a different set of headphones or not.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

May 29, 2020 10:46 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris, thanks for your suggestion!

I had tried that and nothing changed the behaviour.

However, I've come to the conclusion this is a bug (or feature?) in Webkit. Typically, I use the Vivaldi browser which is Chrome based. Videos on Youtube playlists continue uninterrupted (except by YT) and there's never an issue with sound.

Yesterday, I was in Safari for a time and the YT playlist running. Well, after the change of video in the list, the video paused. I went to check and after fiddling around with reloading and whatnot, I disconnected my BT headphones and the video played right away in the built-in speakers. I reconnected and the audio transferred to my headphones promptly and the video played. Then the next item in the playlist came up and the same thing happened. I disconnected and reconnected and the video played.

The playlist works fine in Firefox too.

I tried another Webkit browser and the connection issues persisted. So, knowing that iTunes is probably using webkit in some capacity, as well as Safari and the other browser, the issue must lie in webkit or quicktime, or something related to the interaction of the two.

I've exhausted pretty much every other thing I can think of. I've been troubleshooting my Macs since 2001, so I have a pretty good handle on how to do it (though I don't consider myself an expert).

Now I just have to find out how to report the bug.

Any other thoughts are most welcome! Thank you!

iTunes 12.9.5 Bluetooth speaker connection issues with video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.