Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since the Ventura 13.0.1 Update, iPods won't load

Ever since updating to Ventura 13.0.1, none of my iPod shuffles will load on my Mac Desktop (I have a few that I still use for running with different playlists). When I attach one, it briefly shows in the Finder, then disappears before I can do anything with it. In Apple Music, it shows, but either says "this ipod is in use in another window" or "device can not be found." I've restarted a couple of times, and it makes no difference.

Bottom line is, I can no longer load/replace music on these devices. Any thoughts, work-arounds, advice? Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 11:36 AM

I am observing the same issue with a 2gb iPod Shuffle (with software version 1.0.2) on a new M1 Macbook Pro since updating to Ventura v13.1.

It either disappears immediately after connecting, as described below, or it displays an error when I try to sync:

The iPod “Clapton” cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-244).

UPDATE: I found a listing of error codes: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/lenzo/html/mac_errors.html

error -244 voiceNotFound

If I uncheck "Enable Voiceover" in the iPod's General settings, I am able to sync.

Maybe there's a way to reinstall the "voice" used to generate those voiceovers in Ventura?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 11:36 AM in response to gfletch67

I am observing the same issue with a 2gb iPod Shuffle (with software version 1.0.2) on a new M1 Macbook Pro since updating to Ventura v13.1.

It either disappears immediately after connecting, as described below, or it displays an error when I try to sync:

The iPod “Clapton” cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-244).

UPDATE: I found a listing of error codes: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/lenzo/html/mac_errors.html

error -244 voiceNotFound

If I uncheck "Enable Voiceover" in the iPod's General settings, I am able to sync.

Maybe there's a way to reinstall the "voice" used to generate those voiceovers in Ventura?

Dec 6, 2022 11:29 AM in response to gfletch67

Hello gfletch67,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you’re no longer able to sync your iPod to your Mac. We are happy to help.

We’d like to have you do some isolating troubleshooting steps to isolate the cause. Please use the steps here to test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

We also recommend testing in a new user account using the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Create a new user or group.

Click the New Account pop-up menu (you may be asked to enter your password), then choose a type of account.

• Administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
  • Standard: Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.
  • Sharing Only: Sharing-only users can access shared files remotely, but can’t log in to the computer or change settings. To give the user permission to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change options in File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management settings. See Set up file sharing and Share the screen of another Mac.
  • Group: Groups allow multiple users to have the same access privileges. You control a group’s access to your shared folders by setting access permissions in the File Sharing options in Sharing settings.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Since the Ventura 13.0.1 Update, iPods won't load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.