Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Does Not Restore Emails - Don't Think you have Backup!

Broken since December 2019 using late model iMac and latest version Catalina. Not sure if this effects everyone or just some; there are dozens of posts on this in Apple discussions. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative? I need to be able to go back and find individual emails that I deleted by mistake. Could be yesterday, could be six months ago. I usually know the date I mistakenly deleted something as it is usually part of an email string of conversation. Not interested in digging around under the hood restoring mailboxes, etc. Had enough of that tinkering with Windows before I abandoned that platform 20 years ago. Essentially I need a replacement for Time Machine - BUT one that works to restore individual emails.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 7:52 PM

To retain email messages Time Machine will back up along with everything else, create a local Mailbox, i.e. one on your Mac.

Excerpted from Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac:

• On My Mac: Mailboxes you create in On My Mac are local, meaning you can access them only on this computer.
  • Account: Mailboxes created on your email account’s mail server can be accessed on any computer or device where you use the account.

If you delete the latter—not On My Mac—they are deleted from your email service provider's mail server. They're gone. Time Machine does not back up Mailboxes stored on your email service provider's mail server.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 7:52 PM in response to ddminter

To retain email messages Time Machine will back up along with everything else, create a local Mailbox, i.e. one on your Mac.

Excerpted from Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac:

• On My Mac: Mailboxes you create in On My Mac are local, meaning you can access them only on this computer.
  • Account: Mailboxes created on your email account’s mail server can be accessed on any computer or device where you use the account.

If you delete the latter—not On My Mac—they are deleted from your email service provider's mail server. They're gone. Time Machine does not back up Mailboxes stored on your email service provider's mail server.

May 28, 2020 8:50 AM in response to John Galt

In the past 10 years of using Time Machine - the "Trash" mail folder was indeed preserved exactly like all other Time Machine files. So files you "deleted" were indeed preserved if a Time Machine backup occurred before you erased the emails in your Trash folder. Time Machine would take a picture of all mailboxes, including the Trash mailbox. And of course everything would eventually be deleted after a period of time, just like all Time Machine backup sets. Nowhere in Apple documentation does it suggest Mail has to be a local machine file location for Time Machine to back it up. Nowhere does it say certain mailboxes (i.e. Trash) do not get backed up. Prove me wrong! :)

Since December, Time Machine Restore has massive problems restoring any Mail. Check around the Apple discussion boards. It simply is totally non-functional for many of us. The symptom is, you launch Time Machine with the Mail app open. It shows all the backup dates on the right hand column of the screen. But none of them are assessable and none of them will allow you to restore anything. I mean totally broken. For other people the symptom is Mail simply crashes when you open Time Machine.

Thanks again for thinking about it and offering ideas. This probably seems like an odd function, using Time Machine to retrieve emails I deleted. But I work in a legal arena and that function has saved me several times over the years... When I was too quick to delete, and too quick to empty the Trash mailbox of messages.

Jun 2, 2020 4:14 PM in response to John Galt

It is the way it has worked until now. If it weren't intended to work this way there would be no mail interface in the Time Machine window. We used to be able to restore individual emails from the TM Mail interface because I have done it many times. The same used to hold true for photos. For example, in years past we used to be able to restore individual photos from the Time Machine iPhotos interface. Apple removed that functionality and removed the interface. When you launch TM from the Photos window now you are presented with the Finder interface. So just want to clear up that we are not imagining this change in Time Machine Mail recovery functionality.

As far as the TM not storing emails from the server, that is not how it had worked before. Mail accounts set up with IMAP are in sync. When something happens to the mail on the local system it is also reflected on the server and vice versa. Mail does store mail locally even for IMAP connections. If it did not, you would not be able to see the emails (that you have already received) after disconnecting from the internet. So again, Apple would have had to change the function in order for TM to no longer backup mail that is indeed stored somewhere locally.

Apple may choose to handle iCloud mail in TM differently than mail from other servers, but TM does not display -or displays only partially- any mail from any account in my Mail app.

If Apple is not phasing out support for a Mail interface in TM, then I wonder if the TM app is looking at the local TM backup and stopping there without reaching out to the TM backup file on the external drive. ? a possibility.

May 27, 2020 10:07 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for taking a shot. For many years, Time Machine in fact did and is supposed to back up every single email and every mailbox. Including mailboxes stored on Apples servers. A local mailbox does not work when you move from iMac, to iPad, to MacBook Pro, to iPhone. Which is how I use Apple products, and have for many years. The purpose of Time Machine is to take snapshots of data, including every email, Local or server-based, for future possible retrieval.

I’ll stand corrected if you can point to any Apple documentation that says Catalina OS Mail has to be local to be backed up by Time Machine. It’s just never been the case for me and I have retrieved many emails from server-based Mail over the years. And It makes no sense for people who use multiple devices like me to have a Mail stored on one device.

I’ve had 54 email exchanges with a senior Apple tech, even emailed Tim Cook and spoke with a member of his executive team. Sent them GB’s of data. They acknowledge the problem. Just not too motivated to fix it so far...

I do appreciate your response. If I am missing something I would be grateful for further educated. Maybe you are suggesting a duplicate set of local mailboxes, or something?

May 28, 2020 7:06 AM in response to ddminter

I understand. I surmise that you're expecting TM to be able to restore deleted email messages and that's just not the way it works. On the other hand if you suffer from a catastrophic disk failure TM will absolutely, positively restore emails that you did not delete, regardless of whether you stored them "on my Mac" or left them on the email server.

The same concept applies broadly to TM in general: if you delete a file from your Mac, it will also be deleted from its backup—with the additional caveat that it is only deleted after a period of time.

Keep in mind that TM is not an archival system and was never intended to be one. Retaining emails for archival purposes requires either not deleting them from the server or storing them locally "On My Mac". In both cases, TM absolutely, positively, backs them up.

I've erased and restored many Macs in that manner many times. In fact I have a local Mailbox titled "keep forever" which contains messages predating the age of this Mac by fifteen years.

Time Machine Does Not Restore Emails - Don't Think you have Backup!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.