Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Library/Songs After Apple Music Sync

I recently upgraded to Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4). I said goodbye to iTunes (R.I.P.) and said hello to the Music app. My migration went surprisingly smooth...until I subscribed to Apple Music and synced my library (following the steps from the support article https://support.apple.com/en-ke/HT204926#help). It took a couple days but when it was finished I went from a ~50,000 song library to a ~100,000 song library because it made "duplicates" of every single song! Each song has a version with the cloud icon with an X (removed) and another with the cloud icon with an arrow (available for download). Anyone know how to fix this sync issue?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 27, 2020 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 5:42 AM

Working with a single pair of duplicates try right-clicking on the track that has the removed icon and use Add to Library. Then use File > Library > Update Cloud Library. Hopefully that will resolve the dupes down to one locally stored track. Assuming that has worked sort the library on the iCloud Status column, select and repeat. It might pay to work in batches rather than trying to do everything in one hit.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 5:42 AM in response to brainwavestv

Working with a single pair of duplicates try right-clicking on the track that has the removed icon and use Add to Library. Then use File > Library > Update Cloud Library. Hopefully that will resolve the dupes down to one locally stored track. Assuming that has worked sort the library on the iCloud Status column, select and repeat. It might pay to work in batches rather than trying to do everything in one hit.

tt2

Jun 6, 2020 12:34 PM in response to raina_b22

Thanks.

I did contact support via phone but they weren't able to figure out my issue.

I was directed to a support article, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203564, but it didn't clear any of the issues up.

The article states for the cloud X icon that "You have multiple computers that have Sync Library turned on and a song was deleted from one of those computers. Songs that you delete from your music library are immediately removed from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but stay on other associated computers until they're manually deleted.". However, Sync has NOT been turned on for any other computers so I am at a loss as to why they are showing with that icon.

Jun 12, 2020 7:54 AM in response to brainwavestv

I've been trying to find something on this problem for a few months, but I keep getting the "use music to find duplicate tracks" response.

The songs that are duplicated are purchased music. Doesn't matter if it's from the iTunes Store, BandCamp, Amazon, etc., the songs are imported, uploaded to my iCloud Library, and then on my mac I have two (for some tracks three) versions of the song. One that's in iCloud and one that's not in iCloud.

This isn't just "duplicate songs" in my library. Songs and playlists are duplicating only on my mac. iOS looks normal. When I first notice it months prior, there was the playlist in full and the duplicate list was empty, but had cover art and description. This goes for all playlists. Ones I made myself, Smart Playlists, ones I added from Apple Music, and ones my friends sent me through Apple Music. I would just delete the empty one and it would be all good until I had to quit the app and reopen it. They would be right back.

It wasn't until recently that the duplicated playlists weren't exactly the same. Now half of the songs are in one playlist and the other half are in the other. If I delete one playlist, both of them delete from my computer and Apple Music on why other devices. It seems to only be playlists in which I'm mixing Apple Music songs and purchased music.

This problem is only on my Mac and it's driving me crazy. My Music Library on iOS says I have 10,317 songs. On my mac, it says 16,379. I don't know if the issue is on my end or in the software.

Duplicate Library/Songs After Apple Music Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.