Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Buy proof of purchase non-existant?

Hey. Bought an apple watch from Best Buy and it somehow got locked. They can't provide me a proof of purchase with a serial number and therefore Apple won't help me. How can this be and what should I do?

Apple Watch

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:06 AM

15 replies

May 28, 2020 6:15 AM in response to Community User

It's a bit different. It's like its locked by another person (i don't recognise the email because it has a lot of **** in it). Seems like it was hacked and locked. Apple usually has no problems unlocking hacked devices, but best buy refuses to provide the proof of purchase because apparently they don't have them with serial numbers on it. I'm not sure how Apple is not aware that best buy is frauding their customers by selling watches without their original documents that can be used as proof of purchase. What should I do?

May 28, 2020 6:28 AM in response to tadas197

That email address that you see is the first part of the apple id that the watch is locked too.

Only the owner of that email address can unlock the watch,like I said get your money back the watch is of no use to you.

Jun 1, 2020 6:02 AM in response to tadas197

tadas197 wrote:

Yes. Best buy not having the document has nothing to do with the 1.5 years. They offer the same invoice from the day one - without the serial number. That is what they confirmed with me in our correspondence.

You can believe what you want but you will have to face the reality of the situation. Your watch is now useless and there's nothing you can do about it. We're done here.

Jun 1, 2020 7:57 AM in response to tadas197

Let me ask you a question. Was this a regular retail purchase, or was this an open box purchase? If it was an open box, it is possible the device was activated prior to your purchase and was not wiped correctly, so it still had the original purchaser's Apple ID on it. It this was a regular purchase, then I'm not sure how it could have been hacked to put someone else's Apple ID on it for Activation Lock. Since Best Buy is an Authorized Reseller, if they are not providing a receipt that displays the information that Apple requires, then you can take that up with Apple so they ensure their authorized resellers meet their requirements. As far as discussing the point here, we are users like you, and Apple does not participate here. Nothing anyone here could do to change your predicament. If Apple states they will not do anything without a serial number receipt and Best Buy refuses, or cannot provide such, it is what it is. The device is Activation Locked, and you cannot get in. Sorry for your loss.

Best Buy proof of purchase non-existant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.