Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried all solutions to empty trash.

I have tried all solutions in the Communities and I still can't get my Trash to empty. It's full of old Time Machine files from an old drive and I can't get them to purge. I don't have the drive anymore and when I try to delete it just runs for days and days but never removes any files.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 28, 2020 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 12:39 PM

As you have now found out, it is a big no no to delete Time Machine backup via the Finder.

The way to solve the problem, is to erase the old Time Machine backup drive using Disk Utility.

Then start new Time Machine backups or use that drive for something else like a CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper clone.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 12:39 PM in response to zahnfra

As you have now found out, it is a big no no to delete Time Machine backup via the Finder.

The way to solve the problem, is to erase the old Time Machine backup drive using Disk Utility.

Then start new Time Machine backups or use that drive for something else like a CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper clone.

May 28, 2020 10:34 AM in response to zahnfra

The mysterious thing is them showing in Trash with the backup drive removed!?

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

May 28, 2020 12:15 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, updated information: I have a NEW Time Machine external drive. When I restart with no drives attached there is nothing in the Trash. When I add the external drive that's the Time Machine, that's when trash shows up. WHat's odd is that I didn't remove these files from this drive, and it won't let me move the files out of trash, so how do I get them out.

Tried all solutions to empty trash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.