Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macos 11.1 Accidently put 1Tb of files into trash bin. How can I delete them quickly? They will take days or weeks to empty normally.

I have tried using Terminal commands:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

rm: /Users/glindsay/.Trash: Operation not permitted

sudo rm .Trash/*

zsh: no matches found: .Trash/*

Many of the files are from my Time Machine and will be the major cause of trouble. I did not mean them to go into the Trash directly but now I cannot get them out again.

Any useful ideas short of restoring my main drive from a clone which I do have?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 5:05 PM

Yes. I have already disabled Time machine for the moment. I had planned, as a last resort, to erase Time Machine drive but I was hoping to keep the last few backups at least. Not a good way to commence the new year, but I guess a clean slate might be a useful way to go. I have all my data backed up daily on a separate disk (several, actually) so I won't lose that, just the convenience of recovering deleted files easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bite the bullet and fix the drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 5:05 PM in response to dialabrain

Yes. I have already disabled Time machine for the moment. I had planned, as a last resort, to erase Time Machine drive but I was hoping to keep the last few backups at least. Not a good way to commence the new year, but I guess a clean slate might be a useful way to go. I have all my data backed up daily on a separate disk (several, actually) so I won't lose that, just the convenience of recovering deleted files easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I will bite the bullet and fix the drive.

Macos 11.1 Accidently put 1Tb of files into trash bin. How can I delete them quickly? They will take days or weeks to empty normally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.