Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.Trashes folder deleted from external hard-drive. How can I make the folder again?

Hi, guys!

I accidentally deleted my .Trashes hidden folder from my external Hard-Drive, which I also use it for Time Machine backups, when I used the command sudo rm -rf. Now there is no .Trashes folder anymore so everytime I delete something it's deleted forever.

I'm hoping you guys can help me create the folder again with all the permissions and actions so that my Mac will know to move the deleted files in the trash and not delete them forever. I know I can solve this by formating the drive, but that's impossible because I have some other data on the drive as well which I cannot afford to lose.

Also before doing this stupid mistake, in devices, my external hard-drive's icon was yellow when not backing up, and blue when backing up. Now it's just blue.

My OS is High Sierra 10.13.6 running on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15".

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 15", 10.13

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:14 PM

FIXED! The option was to disconnect and reconnect the Hard-Drive.

Similar questions

5 replies

.Trashes folder deleted from external hard-drive. How can I make the folder again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.