Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to trash untrashable files

We recently upgraded an iMac to Big Sur, but not without some obstacles. One of those obstacles was this particular Mac had a Backups.backupd folder on it, on the root level, so despite this computer having an external TimeMachine backup, somehow it ended up a TimeMachine backup folder on it. This was preventing Big Sur from installing, but once we got that folder into the trash, Big Sur installed normally.

Now, the problem is emptying the trash — most of the files contained within that Backups.backupd folder emptied, but a handful (perhaps 25 or so) resist all attempts to be swept clean with errors such as "files are in use", "operation not permitted" or "directory not empty".

I've figured out how to take ownership (recursively) of the folders (in Terminal) and all of their contents with the "sudo chown" command but all variations of rm -rf are blocked one way or another.

What else must I do to "free up" these files, so they can be trashed? Attached is a screenshot of the files/folders that are resisting.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 3:33 AM

Must disable SIP via Recovery Mode csrutil and then removed the file in question. Then Enable SIP again as soon as done also via Recovery Mode

Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon

Otherwise on Intel Command + r Immediately at Startup

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 8, 2021 9:38 PM in response to chris_g1

Normal empty trash it says "file in use"…and does this about 25 times. Once we "skip" each of the those, the normal items in the Trash go away. Restarted a few times, no help. We tried booting into Safe Mode but were unsuccessful. The lady I'm trying to help from afar is not very tech-savvy. I think she's able to hold down the Shift key at startup, but it never "takes" after several attempts.

Jul 8, 2021 9:42 PM in response to Old Toad

Whether the TimeMachine volume is mounted or not doesn't play into it. The files are located on the internal hard drive, and the normal external TimeMachine is working fine. The files in questions were from some unknown backup onto the internal hard drive — it's a mystery how they got there, but there were three TimeMachine dates from the past year. But yes, under normal circumstance, it's never a good idea to delete TimeMachine files via Finder.

How to trash untrashable files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.